Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After being easily sold on this game, I went ahead and bought in and received my order yesterday. Due to lack of opponents I was unable to sit down and play until today though.

Although I have access to the card pool I decided to build the 8 objective starter decks for learning/teaching purposes. This game is about the same difficulty to teach as VS was. I taught 2 people on separate occasions, and both seemed to have the basics quickly in hand. Since this was the first play though for myself, there were a few rule book checks, but I have watched enough games to know the main aspects. In the future I should be able to teach the game faster, but as it stood both (very bright) players were on board fairly quickly.

With out going to far down the rabbits hole, I will give a brief overview of what we played and how it turned out. Then tell you what we gathered in the short time so far!

G1: Imp Navy VS Jedi (me)
After I bumbling first game filled with misplays I found myself losing my 3rd objective and pushing the death star dial to 12 pretty quickly.

G2: Imp Navy VS Jedi (Me)
This time I felt like I had it but a key fate card killed my only blast damage unit, allowing the Navy to prevail against my lack of defenders the following turn

G3: Imp Navy (Me) VS Jedi
This game never felt close... I had devastator rolling quickly and after he managed to destroy it I drew a super laser event FTW. At this point we felt like the jedi lacked enough synergy to pull it out against the faster peons of the empire. This might be attributable to a lack of jedi showing up for the jedi. Luke made an appearance in 2 games but Obi and Yoda were notably absent.

G4: Sith VS Rebel Alliance (me)
This time the Light side prevailed rewarding me with my second victory in a row. The deathstar dial was dangerously near completion, and with just 1 more objective to destroy I drew the Rebel Flurry? (Deals 2 damage to a unit or objective) and took the victory w/o having to bash through his huge wall of nasty defenders.

G5: Imp Navy (Brother) VS Jedi (Me)
I was teaching my brother the game later that evening. I played Yoda this time and suited him up with a light saber. Facing down a mere Death star trooper I attacked. He defends. During the edge I play 2 cards and he plays 1. Twist of fate from him resets. I play my last and he plays his last for the next edge battle. My 2 icons didn't prevail against Grand Moff Tarkin's 3. His trooper dealt 1 damage to yoda. Yoda finished off the trooper and dealt 2 damage to the target. He followed my turn up with a blast from his defense protocol to free me of my awesome Yoda. shake

He plays Devastator and it single handedly removes an objective for me. I draw up next turn to a 6 card dud with 0 units to play 3 Fate cards, a Jedi mind Trick, On repair and objective card and lightsaber deflect. With full health on all my remaining objectives I could only pass the turn... I lost quickly there after.

Final Conclusions: The starter decks don't seem super well balanced to face the opposite type of faction. Both the Jedi and Sith decks felt like it was mostly fluff with 2 or 3 units you actually want, while the navy and alliance starters seem more synergistic with all the unique Objective sets. Once the additional objective sets begin to be added and multi faction decks are created we should have some better information, but Day 1 has been mostly a learning experience, in more ways then 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're enjoying the game and those are some good, quick reports!

The starter decks are definitely good for learning but suffer from inconsistency and therefore luck of the draw. The good news is if you like the game already, it'll only get better once you use some fully fleshed out decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nkimball wrote:
Glad you're enjoying the game and those are some good, quick reports!

The starter decks are definitely good for learning but suffer from inconsistency and therefore luck of the draw. The good news is if you like the game already, it'll only get better once you use some fully fleshed out decks!

Agreed! Buy a second Core Set (all you need, no use for a third) and only one of each Force pack. You're done. And you'll be able to build awesome decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Mcpherson
United States
Sand Springs
Ok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and Done... Built some decks for My brother and I to try out tonight... I will post a session report later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.