Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game at Dice Tower Con and it was the best game that I played the whole time so I just bought it. It showed up today and I read through the rules and was surprised to see you're supposed to place the booty tiles in your den face down. The person that taught me it at the con didn't mention that so we played with them face up. It seems like obviously that having them face down requires you to remember who has how many maps and possibly curses (if the monkey is in play). Has anyone else played with them face up? For me it seems like there is enough things to think about and keep track of that giving yourself a break and seeing the booty tiles people have would make it a little easier to pick one for blocking the 3rd map. Maybe I'll use the face up as a beginner game with newbies but play by the rules afterwards. Anyone else play face up on purpose or by accident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did it face up by accident on the first game. It's better with them face down. It's really NOT more to think about because then you're not max/min and looking through everyone's booty all of the time. Remembering who's collecting treasure maps isn't a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
It's better with them face down.

Whoop, there it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh we've been playing face-up too... and will probably continue to do so-- it's the old "should memorizable information be hidden" debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play face up. Playing them face down seems like it would just create a lot of nuisance plus introduce even more memory (the least interesting mechanic in the universe) to the game. It's bad enough trying to remember if all the brutes/granny watas/governors daughters have been played yet. Memorizing 20-25 face down tiles too? pass.

Even without the memory thing, its just a nuisance for each player to be peeking to check what they have for stuff like priest, waitress, armorer, monkey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.