Popular Tags: [View All]
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey all

So I'm hosting an 8-man BC tournament this Saturday (the 20th) and wanted to ask for some general tips on how to have things run smoothly. The crowd should be mixed between newbs and people who've played already. We're playing with the full 48 person roster thanks to Brad making the alt art PnP files available early (I got them printed from printerstudio.com, took me forever!!!)

I'm having two hours of instructional/demo time so people can feel out the new characters or get up to speed with basic gameplay. New Special Actions, tournament draft rules where each person picks three characters.

I guess my first question is how do I handle seeding? Do I just have people pick straws and lucky guy gets first pick?

Thanks in advance, I hope to post some pics/updates/results of how everything went.

PS - For myself, does anybody have any tips on drafting strategies? Should I try to get a diverse team or just pick my favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I have no advice for running a Battlecon tournament - but wanted to say good luck and it sounds awesome.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with noobs, I don't suggest fighting with teams. Just have them commit to 1 character and get used to that character first. It'll help build a foundation for future ones.

IE This character is just like X, just a bit slower and more hard-hitting.

And so on.

As for picking your own team, if you're planning to go all "high level tier play," I do suggest you pick 3 that cover each other's weaknesses.

For example, my team would be Cadenza, Joal and Arec.

I will admit that I love using all three but there's logic behind it.

Let's look at some Achetypes:

Ranger
Middler (or Brawler)
Juggernaut
Speedster
Trickster

So, if I were to quantify my "good match ups, it'd be:

Ranger: 2/3
Middler: 3/3
Juggernaut: 3/3
Speedster: 2/3
Trickster: 2/3

The score means that 2/3 or 3/3 of my characters can "deal" with those kinds of characters. Or at least, I've developed counters using my characters to those kinds of characters.

Each character has a weakness:
Cadenza Can't Handle Tricksters.
Joal has a problem with rangers (MY JOAL, anyway)
Arec has a problem with speedsters

Notice how for each weakness, the other 2 characters excel at it.

Joal and Arec can handle tricksters
Arec and Cadenza handle rangers
Joal and Cadenza handle speedsters

Notice also how there are some archetpyes where all 3 of my guys can do well against.(Middlers and Juggernauts) That's also quite good for me as Middlers tend to populate most people's teams because they're the "fun to play" ones while Juggernauts are an archetype that I usually struggle to fight against.

HOWEVER: all of that means nothing if you can't use your characters. So, first and foremost, pick the ones you KNOW how to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you have to run the tournament? You could split up the 8 man field into 2 pools of 4. Have everyone play each other in their pools (twice if time allows) and then the top 2 of each pool moves on the the knock-out round.

Or, you could just do a swiss format where the standings dictate who plays next. So, #1 & #2 would face off against each other after 1 game. You could use life point differential as tie-breaker/ranking purposes like we did in the War League.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
@Mark - As always, brilliant strategy. Maybe good drafting technique could make up a battletips episode someday?

I think my playstyle up till now tends to prefer middlers and speedsters, as Cherri, Karin & Jager, & Demitras are some of my current faves. I am pretty good with Alexian as well, but I feel like that's more because he's an easier character to pound face with as opposed to any skill on my part.

We'll see how it goes, I'll definitely keep your advice in the back of my mind if we decide to use the true 3 character draft format. I may even wait till the day of to decide on a format: see how the instructions and practice time goes, then if people seem comfortable enough we can play a drafted format. If people are still a little uneasy we can just stick with one character each for the tourney.

@CDJ - I was originally thinking single elimination, but only because I didn't consider my other options. Now that I think about, I really should have the first leg be round-robin, then after that run a winners and a losers bracket (best of 3, single elimination). That way it sort of maximizes everybody's play time, plus we end up with two "winners."

Thanks for the great advice; I'm sure this shindig will be all the better because of it. Keep it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dspringer9952 wrote:
@Mark - As always, brilliant strategy. Maybe good drafting technique could make up a battletips episode someday?

I think my playstyle up till now tends to prefer middlers and speedsters, as Cherri, Karin & Jager, & Demitras are some of my current faves. I am pretty good with Alexian as well, but I feel like that's more because he's an easier character to pound face with as opposed to any skill on my part.

Yeah. I'll make a video about it once I get free time. Midterms are coming up and it's really been screwing my filming schedule.

As for that team you just gave

Cherri
Karin and Jager
Demitras

It's actually a pretty balanced team. You have a 2/3 against Brawlers,Juggernauts, and Rangers, and a 3/3 against everything else.

Brawlers (Cherri can't)
Juggernauts (K & J can't)
Rangers (Cherri can't)

This may be a slight issue as it's a bit tipped but that's all right. Otherwise, balanced team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I totally did not expect that to qualify as a balanced team. I'm totally going to shoot for that. Thanks dude, and good luck on your midterms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, just in case anyone wanted to know how it went; it was an awesome day, but we never got down to a tournament. It was like a demo-day.

Had some great, serendipitous matchups however; Eligor v Shekhtur and Alexian v Rexan took the cake for me (both matches were razor close!).

I'm posting some pics of my PnP version to the gallery, so keep an eye out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see your pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Only managed to get one up so far: it shows my PnP Karin & Jager and Rexan, plus a few character packs beside them. All the other ones got denied for too much glare/too repetitive.

Those admins are strict! I'll try setting it up again and taking some higher quality shots. There is just something so amazing to seeing all thirty characters splayed out on a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.