Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Lost Cause» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does Union Control of the Shenandoah Valley Prevent Northern Invasions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just assumed this was the case. I can see per 13.8.4 that if the valley is devastated, Northern Invasions are impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I see that 20.7 "Shenandoah Valley Invasion Routes" states if this strategic space is Union controlled, add a -1 DRM to Confederate Raids and Diversionary Campaigns in the Eastern Theater. I'd also apply this -1 DRM to Battle action/commands for Northern Invasions in this Theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
I just assumed this was the case.

Hans informs me this is correct. Union control of Shenandoah Valley prevents Northern Invasions in the East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it's impossible to have a Northern Invasion without Confederate control of the Valley--the moment the Confederates retake Manassas the Valley comes back under Confederate control--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Mr. Heldt is correct. That is why Union control of the Valley Prevents Northern Invasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All these years, I had mis-read 13.8.1 (d'oh!), which states:

"The South can immediately reclaim control of a Strategic space the instant the Confederates control all of the boxes connected to it -- OR -- when they control any box connected to it and use a Battle action (9.1.1) for this purpose."

I had been playing that first the Confederates had to control all the connecting spaces -- AND -- then seize it with a Battle action. The existing rules are much easier. So that's good news for me, since the recovery of a Strategic space had taken considerable effort. Under my erroneous understanding, the Union could control Shenandoah Valley while launching a Northern invasion. Not ideal, but sometimes circumstances can lead to desperate decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.