Police Precinct» Forums » Variants

Subject: Vigilante add-on idea when crime rate goes up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
Removed the old version of the Vigilante add-on, please look below at the new post for the most recent version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just technical question: Which aspect of the gameplay it should improve?
I can see it thematic, of course, but what is the real purpose? To add a new way to "spend" a card? To achieve street arresting more "cooperated" (aka 1st player either faces 2 punks + 1 "bad" vigilant or he spends a card to prepare better position for 2nd player = 2 punks + 1 "good" vigilant)?
Or ... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
I'll let you know more when I've played it Still in development.

Just a response, top of my head...

I mostly wanted to add something happening on the board when the crime rate goes up. As you say, to make it a bit more thematic. That the crime rate isn't just a static meter that goes up, but actually gives you something to play with. And add a bit of duality to the game, where a vigilante can be either good or bad depening on the opportunities and their enviroment .

At the moment, I think the main technical element would be "waging". Waging and taking risks of leaving "bad" vigilantes on the board in order to train them. Or do they pose too much of a risk and should you get rid of them. And as you said, add another way for cooperation, since you can "set up" a trained vigilante in your turn for the next player.

And have an option to raise the difficulty in a new way. Although this is now speculation, don't know if it will be more difficult as I said, still need to test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nico,

This sounds promising to me.

Let me know what happens.

I have added this to our Brainstorming page...

http://www.commonman.com/brain-storming/

Good Luck and thanks!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
Re: Vigilante add-on idea when crime rate goes up (version 0.2)
And now for something completely different..

After some play-testing I totally changed the mechanism, so here it is. Version 0.2!
I'll be playtesting a lot more and this is still in development. The vigilantes will now really roam the city streets to enhance the sense of the theme. And removed the dice roll for placing bad vigilantes, just put them where the most punks are.

Please check out the flowchart with new rules first, tried to give a quick overview of the mechanism here:

For the written rules and some background on the theme, read these notes:

The premise of the Vigilante add-on is to provide the police a new menace in the streets that, if well trained, can provide a useful tool for the police force in Commonville.

TOKENS

Vigilantes are 4 double sided tokens, where a RED mask represents an untrained clumsy vigilante, explained simply: a bad vigilante. And a GREEN mask will be the good vigilante that will act as a special type of patrol officer.

Additional there is a square marker, that is 50% green and 50% red that you can use to mark the "2nd" position on the crime track as a reminder when to place the first 2 or 3 vigilantes on the board, depending on the number of players.

STORY AND MECHANISM
When the crime rate goes up the first time, the public doesn't have enough trust in the Commonville Police Force. Some citizens take to the streets and become vigilantes. Since they're not trained for this kind of work, they are a danger to the city and themselves. They are bad vigilantes (RED mask tokens).

Vigilantes will always start out as bad vigilantes.
Here is how to add them to the board:

**NO DIRTY COP:
1 or 2 players: add 2 bad vigilantes to the bad hood with the most punks, if there are multiple bad hoods to choose from, just pick one.
3 to 6 players: add 3 bad vigilantes to the bad hood with the most punks, if there are multiple bad hoods to choose from, just pick one.
Additional: place one bad vigilante in the hood with the most punks if there are vigilantes available, every time the crime rate goes up by one.

At the end of each turn all of the vigilantes on the board that are in a bad hood with no punks present, need to be moved up one bad hood clockwise of the board. They will stop when they meet punks in a bad hood. This goes for both the bad and good vigilantes.

BUSTING PUNKS WITH VIGILANTES PRESENT

Bad vigilantes give you -1 die
Good vigilantes give you +1 die

If the number of bad vigilantes > good vigilantes, the +1 die effect of all the good vigilantes is cancelled.
E.g. 2 bad vigilantes and 1 good vigilante result in: -2 die, since the +1 die is cancelled.

If the number of good vigilantes > bad vigilantes, the -1 die effect of all the bad vigilantes is cancelled.
E.g. 3 good vigilantes and 1 bad vigilante results in +3 die, since the -1 die is cancelled.

If the number of good vigilantes = bad vigilantes, the effects cancel each other out.

Now there are two scenario's that define the future of the vigilantes that are present in a bad hood with punks, depending on the outcome when arresting punks:

1. SUCCES in busting ALL the punks at once, and the bad vigilante(s) are so impressed by this that you have the opportunity to train and recruit good vigilante(s). To do this you must discard 2 identical police cards for each vigilante that you want to recruit, either with the same symbol or text. It is allowed to team up for this and use 1 card of your own and 1 card from another police officer, although they have to be present at the scene in order for this (play-test to weigh the cost vs. benefits). The recruited good vigilantes will then be transferred to the Police station next to the Patrol Officers. Tokens need to be turned to the GREEN mask.

If you are NOT ABLE TO RECRUIT or choose not to recruit, then the bad vigilante(s) stay on the board looking for the next group of punks. At the end of each turn, move them one bad hood clockwise.

If there are already good vigilante(s) present when busting, they will continue to patrol on the board after the successful bust. And just move them clockwise at the end of each turn, until they meet new punks in a bad hood.

2. FAIL in busting ALL the punks at once (e.g. even if you bust 3 out of 4), the bad vigilante's spirit is crushed by this failure of the police to bust them all and decides "if you can't beat them, join them". Remove the vigilante token from the game and replace it with a punk token. So the vigilante token is out of the game.

If there are good vigilante(s) present when failing in busting ALL punks at once, they will then return to the Police station.

HOW TO USE GOOD VIGILANTES AT POLICE STATION AND ON BOARD

Dispatch to Bad hoods at Police station:
The good vigilantes can be dispatched to bad hoods using the "Officer assistance" police card when at the Police station. You can't dispatch patrol Officers at the same time, it's either vigilantes OR patrol officers. The only difference is that good vigilantes stay on the board after a SUCCESSFUL bust of ALL punks when they are in a bad hood. And keep on turning clockwise and the end of each turn, until they reach a bad hood with punks, there they will stay. Return them to the Police station if busting ALL punks at once FAILS.

Emergency:
On the city block where a good vigilante is present, you can also request their assistance for 2 donuts (each player present may tip in, play-test to weigh the cost vs. benefits) to help with an emergency. This gives you difficulty -1 on the emergency. You can only use ONE vigilante per emergency!
Indifferent to the outcome of the emergency handled, the good vigilante will be taken out of the game after it. The sacrifice that each superhero will make in the end .

Important note on Dirty Cop: I haven't played the dirty cop version, since I like the premise of working together better than the tension of distrust in a game. If you do play with dirty cop, just see if you have to change the suggested vigilantes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pushing hard to meet a deadline right now, so no time to think this through fully, but at first glance this looks to be...

Very Cool!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
Additional: will probably work best up to 4 players. I noticed when recently playing with 6 players there is so much going on that this add on will probably distract more than really add something to the atmosphere of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls