Subject: Gameplay helper - unhappy faces... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Morris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found it a bit confusing that there was no easy way to identify those workers that were engaged, other than remembering what each one had been up to. An easy way would be to turn the workers on their side once they are engaged, but then you wouldn't know if they were in rebellion or not...

As a simple solution, I bought a bunch of unhappy frowny faces:

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=1867

Now, when a worker is in rebellion, we place the worker on its side, then put the token on top. When a worker is engaged, it is just laid on its side. This makes it very simple to understand what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I do as well. I also upgraded the buildings with wooden buildings and the money with wooden money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden buildings you say, interesting, what are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All told, I upgraded the goods (larger and corrected color), buildings, money, rebel tokens, and action disks. This is a hastily thrown together mock-up:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I thought that engaged units are moved on top of the area they are engaged in. i.e. harvesting units are placed on the goods, units using the port, market, town, are placed on the appropriate areas etc...

Are you putting them on these areas and on their sides to more easily recognize they are engaged?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Morris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly right. When you're moving other pieces around, it can be easy to move other workers accidentally, then you can forget if they were engaged or not. For example, if you're collecting resources, you might accidentally bump a worker off their resource circle. Then you have no idea if it was engaged or not. Putting them on their side prevents that. Simple, but effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwills wrote:
i.e. harvesting units are placed on the goods, units using the port, market, town, are placed on the appropriate areas etc...

Note that there aren't any appropriate areas for buildings. If I build a port, I put my worker on it. At the disengagement phase, the worker is no longer engaged, but stays on the building. If I use the port later, the worker becomes engaged but does not move. The only way to know whether the worker in a building is engaged is to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you. Makes sense now to someone who has not yet played and experienced those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Badioli
Italy
Senigallia
Ancona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An home made version of this solution could be painting a side of the meeple wit the sad face. So when a worker is in rebellion, we can put the worker on the sad side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about laying engaged workers on their "arms" (rotate 90° around y-axis), and laying rebellious workers on their "back" like in the manual? And putting down the "use market/port"-florin next to the corresponding market/port chip instead of placing it on the action board? That's how we always know which workers are engaged and which of the markets/ports have already been used. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freierfall Sonnenflieger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the rotation of the workers is hard to see / easy to overlook, I like the idea of different sides for the workers, one just enganged, the other one in rebellion, but think it would look ugly to just attach stickers on my meeples. Still waiting for an elegant solution.

But I also put the florin on the used market/port, esp. if you have several of each thats essential IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Spinner
Netherlands
flag msg tools
chally wrote:
All told, I upgraded the goods (larger and corrected color), buildings, money, rebel tokens, and action disks. This is a hastily thrown together mock-up:

Why did you added buildings to the board? do they have an extra use? Is it just for visual? Why went for the wooden money? Please tell me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.