Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
If interested, please check out:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CS_Boardgamers/

or just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you?

Shoes for Industry,
dave k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Childish Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
CSBG Session Report, Sunday 5 Mar 06
Well, I was waiting for Dave to do this, but what the heck, I've got time and nothing better to do.

Jake and I rolled in (actually, I limped, he rolled), to Panera right on time at 1pm, both of us laden with games. Isn't that a great phrase? Laden with games. Just say it a few times. Cool, huh?

Dave was already there, and our reserved room was full of people snarfing down Panera sandwiches. He hadn't been there long, and he'd also brought a nice selection of games. While we waited for other players to show up, we got out Can't Stop. This is a nifty dice game of pushing your luck. It's fast and lots of fun. Jake and Dave both did pretty well, while yours truly couldn't get the dice to roll his way at all. Dave won it, but it was a close game with Jake right on his heels.

I saw that Dave had a game called Shipwrecked, and asked him about it. This is a colorful and small bidding game that is quite easy to learn, and surprisingly fun to play. Players bid on cards each round, trying to get the highest value cards in order to score 150 all-together, or 100 of all one type (color). Some cards provide resources back to the player, which is also important if you want to buy more cards. It came down to Dave and myself over one card, and to my amazement, I actually won the game. Very enjoyable, and one I'd like to play again.

Next out was Fist of Dragonstones, one Dave had always wanted to try, and one of my favorites from the Days of Wonder line of games. 3 players is fun, but getting 6 in a game really is best. This is a bidding and bluffing game, where players bid on fantasy characters in their quest to find the ancient dragonstones. Some character cards allow you to trade certain combos of your found stones for one or two points. First player to get 3 points wins the game. I won that game, mainly because I've played it so much and was up against two beginners. Both liked the game, and Dave suggested I bring it to the next meeting to play again.

Next to hit the table was Attika. I had seen this game on Boardgame Geek and been curious, so I was eager to try it. It's a tile laying/race game. The object is to either connect two shrines with your pieces, or be the first to get all of your pieces onto the board. Resource management is key to getting out the right pieces when you need them. The game is very well made, with sturdy cardboard tiles and pieces, and wooden amphoras (we called 'em carrots), that you get for completing certain combinations that allow you to extend you turn. I found the cards you use as resources to be kind of bland colorwise, but overall they fit the theme, and the game as a whole is very attractive.

As we were setting up, Johnathan, Aimee and John all showed up. Johnathan and John got a game of Can't Stop going, while Aimee joined us for Attika, maxing out the game playerwise. I was instantly hooked as we played, enjoying how the board grew and the fun of cutting off an opponent by blocking their path with your own. Dave won the game by connecting two shrines (not his preferred victory condition), and we wrapped it up for the day. I was so impressed with Attika that on Monday I went down to Compleat Games for my own copy. We've played several games at home (I lead with 3 wins to Jake's 2), and it's quickly become a household favorite.

It seems that our early spring weather kept most of the regulars from making an appearance, which is too bad considering how much fun we had. Trying out new games is always a kick.

Hope we see everyone at the next gathering, and remember, PLAY MORE GAMES!

Joe J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.