Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Stones of Fate Variants #1
“Kill the Messenger”

Developed by Luke Laurie; Designer of Stones of Fate

There are several variant methods to play Stones of Fate that require very little additional equipment. These variants are likely to appeal to different kinds of gamers. Feel free to try them out, let me your own thoughts, and feel free to develop your own variants to share. Each variant uses all of the rules for Stones of Fate unless stated otherwise.

Kill the Messenger
Overview: In this variant, players begin the game with one or two of the Page cards already in their collection. This variant uses a slightly different setup, but requires no changes to the rules, and can also be used in conjunction with other variants.

Setup: Remove the four page cards from the deck before setting up the game. In a three or four player game, deal one Page card to each player (3-player: shuffle the remaining page card back into the deck). In a two player game, deal two Page cards to each player. Players place each Page card received face-up in their collection.

Page card text: “This card is worth 3 points if you have 3 or more Swords/Coins/Cups/Wands cards in your collection.”

Strategy: The Page of Swords, Page of Coins, Page of Wands, and Page of Cups cards each provide a victory point bonus if a player has three or more cards of the same suit as the page. These cards can also be somewhat tricky to get your hands on because of the forbidden zones.

In Kill the Messenger, each player begins with an incentive to pay more attention to the suits of cards he or she is trying to win. In addition, with a Page card in front of each player at the beginning, everyone begins with something to lose. Players need to weigh strategies to protect their Page cards while seeking to steal or otherwise force their opponents to give up their Page cards.

Stones of Fate is on Kickstarter now, and being published by Cosmic Wombat Games.

http://kck.st/1aPD641

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please let me know what you think of this variant, and if you are interested in seeing more. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
Please let me know what you think of this variant, and if you are interested in seeing more. devil

More is always good! Here's a challenge: A solitaire variant.

I may be getting together to playtest some stuff on Thursday and will try this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call on Solitaire - that should be possible. I'll think about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.