Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Caylus» Forums » News

Subject: New Box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that they have changed the box for Caylus' second printing and just went onto Ystari's website, seems like this is the new box. Anyone know if anything else be changed (picture or content wise)?



Old Box:


Pezpimp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition has nicer coins, apparently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wanted to ask if anyone knows how many copies of the original box were printed? I am guessing it will become a collectible since I do not think they made that many.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some more information here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90214
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both versions are ugly in any case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pezpimp wrote:
I also wanted to ask if anyone knows how many copies of the original box were printed? I am guessing it will become a collectible since I do not think they made that many.


I think it unlikely. I don't know any gamers who collect specific editions of games simply because one edition has different cover art than another. When people prefer one edition of the game over another it's pretty much for practical reasons such as better components, updated rules or maps. In this case the second printing will have improved money. I myself have not picked up Caylus yet simply because I would prefer to have the second edition with the better components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I don't know any gamers who collect specific editions of games simply because one edition has different cover art than another. When people prefer one edition of the game over another it's pretty much for practical reasons such as better components, updated rules or maps. In this case the second printing will have improved money. I myself have not picked up Caylus yet simply because I would prefer to have the second edition with the better components.


I don't know--if recent years have taught me anything about collectors, it's that one should never underestimate their disposal income.

When I was a kid during the 1970's, no one ever dreamed that bubblegum cards would be the huge collector's items that they have become in the last ten years or so. Sure, old, rare baseball cards were valuable even then, but I don't think they were worth anything like the wild prices people will pay now for such things--even if one adjusts for inflation. And I don't remember there being any significance attached to getting a guy's rookie card, either. That's a much bigger deal now than it was 20-25 years ago.

G.I. Joe stuff--the original, I mean, the stuff I had a TON of as a kid and my mom threw out when I outgrew it. The Tonka trucks, the Matchbox cars, the hundreds of comic books I went through. I'd be a rich man if I hadn't foolishly used, enjoyed, and wore out all that stuff. What the hell was I thinking??

Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo, older Barbie fashions--who ever dreamed when they bought it that all that crap would fetch the prices it does now? One man's old junk is an antique collector's fortune. I just might start buying two of anything I buy from now on--one to use, and one to fleece people out of their money with 25 years later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few exceptions. Like Reef Encounter. People will still pay a premium for the first edition and that is actually based almost entirely ON art. Granted it isnt just the cover... But... I never cease to be amazed at the extent some people will go.

mrbeankc wrote:
pezpimp wrote:
I also wanted to ask if anyone knows how many copies of the original box were printed? I am guessing it will become a collectible since I do not think they made that many.


I think it unlikely. I don't know any gamers who collect specific editions of games simply because one edition has different cover art than another. When people prefer one edition of the game over another it's pretty much for practical reasons such as better components, updated rules or maps. In this case the second printing will have improved money. I myself have not picked up Caylus yet simply because I would prefer to have the second edition with the better components.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it unlikely. I don't know any gamers who collect specific editions of games


I know a few. Look at the Alea/Rio Grande big box series of 9, people will pay a premium to have the box that fits the line. The new Uberplay versions of Ra and Hoity Toity do not fit the series.

I read the other thread, thank you very much, answers all my questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least the cover looks nicer than the first edition
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Well, at least the cover looks nicer than the first edition


Alex,

Do you really think that the new cover art is better? I rather thought the old one was better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pezpimp wrote:
I heard that they have changed the box for Caylus' second printing and just went onto Ystari's website, seems like this is the new box. Anyone know if anything else be changed (picture or content wise)?

Pezpimp


An extra jeweller tile apprently. It converts gold into prestige points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.