Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Dockter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Ticket to Ride home for Christmas in hopes that I could get someone outside of my normal gaming group to play, luckely it wasn't too hard to persuade a few relatives.

Players
Myself (30), Maria (26), Solomon (19), Gene (60), Joyce (50ish). My aunt (Joyce) had only played games like Dominos and Yatzee while my dad (Gene) was never really big into board games, but played stuff like Monopoly with me when I was little. Maria and Solomon said that they had played games before, their favorite being Apples to Apples, but had never played Ticket to Ride.

Upon opening the box everyone commented on how "cool" the little trains were and everyone picked a color. I unfolded the board and Maria, being from Minneapolis, immediately noticed that Duluth was not where it should be. I explained that a little tweaking had to be done to connect the cities correctly, but they still thought it was funny.

Playing the Game
Since my dad and aunt were not accustomed to playing games like this there was a bit of confusion at first. For example, they both thought that laying a line of any color meant a mixture of any color. Then again I may not be the best at explaining the rules at times. After our initial hiccups things really started to heat up and everyone really got into the game. The board filled up fast, but Maria who had the forsight to start building on opposite sides of the map and then manage to incorporate that into her routes with some brilliant plays won the game. My dad, who missed his last route by one train space, came in last. By the end of the game there were about five other relatives watching as their curiosity got to them.

After our initial game my aunt immediately wanted to play again and some other relatives who were watching wanted to give it a try too. Even my dad, who is the non-boardgamer in the family, said it was fun. Maria said she was buying it as soon as she got home. The best thing about Ticket to Ride is that anyone of all ages enjoy it. Our age group ranged from 19 years to 60+ and everyone enjoyed it immensely and it was easily accessible for the new board game players. The second game needed no explaining since the people watching easily picked it up during the first play session. If you’re looking for a good family game or a game to introduce to new gamers than defiantly pick up Ticket to Ride. It was a smash hit at our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad it was a hit. My wife and I had a non-gaming couple over for dinner a few weeks ago and we played that. I didn't know how well it would go over but they loved it and immediately bought a copy of Ticket To Ride Europe the following week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.