Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
There are no explicit artillery units or rules in the game.

Seems a bit of a strange admission from a game from this period. Cheers for answering this for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drittz wrote:
Rockhopper01 wrote:
There are no explicit artillery units or rules in the game.

Seems a bit of a strange admission from a game from this period. Cheers for answering this for me.

At this game's scale, it doesn't really make sense to have separate artillery units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an omission at all. The scale is Grand Strategy and none of the units represent a specific fighting force. Generally, you need a game with a lower level, tactical or operational, to have units represent a specific kind of unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each unit represents a corps, so artillery is assumed to be with each unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artillery
I noticed that in CG's Bobby Lee and Sam Grant games, artillery is represented by individual units. Although those games are on a slightly smaller scale, it leaves some room to make the original question debatable.

Some have also asked why leaders are underrepresented in this game (compared to games like VG The Civil War). I'll chalk it up to designer's intent. In BL/SG, you could build the units by paying a build cost. In AHD, manpower limits seem to be more of a controlling factor (and I would imagine that artillery units didn't require as much manpower. So that might have made the economics of the game system more complicated that the designers and developers intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tswider wrote:
I noticed that in CG's Bobby Lee and Sam Grant games, artillery is represented by individual units. Although those games are on a slightly smaller scale, it leaves some room to make the original question debatable.
This is not a detailed game. If you want that sort of detail in a strategic game about the whole war, try War Between The States (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.