Viet Tran
msg tools
Heyo! I've been following this game for awhile and finally watched the gameplay demo and had a few questions for anyone in the know.

I've been trying to play pathfinder for awhile or even D&D but been having a hard time w DMing and work schedules etc so I really wanted another way to get into the universe.

After watching the gameplay I was wondering if the play mechanics all revolve around skill checks. Is everything you do determined by rolling a die and checking your stat + modifier?

I really like the campaign aspect and leveling up. It's hard to find those aspects in board games but I'm a little apprehensive on the actual gameplay. I'm hoping there is more depth and critical choices to make rather than rolling everytime you flip over a monster card

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game is quite similar to games like Castle Ravenloft, and the card management is like Gears of War (the cards in your hand represent your HPs). I suppose if you like Ravenloft you'll probably like Pathfinder the Adventure card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Pathfinder. As far as getting into the setting and the flavor of the world the card game is not a bad place to start.

Yes, everything revolves around the skill check. Everything from picking up items, to acquiring spells, to fighting mobs, It's all dice rolling skill checks. This is not a roleplaying game by any means.

However, the game is fairly tactical in where characters go to explore and about tracking down and trapping the villain.

The thing to keep in mind is that this game is intended to be a fairly quick, low complexity, fun romp when you've got an hour before gaming sessions or while waiting for that late player to show up. It's not intended to be a drawn out hardcore game.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I believe the game is quite similar to games like Castle Ravenloft...

I hope not as Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game was a loser for me, and this looks promising. Hmmmm... so did CR before I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
grahamj wrote:

I hope not as Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game was a loser for me, and this looks promising. Hmmmm... so did CR before I played it.

I don't see them being even close to one another experientially. Entirely different beasts based on the gameplay video and extensive gameplay reviews we've got for PF:ACG up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Snowman wrote:
grahamj wrote:

I don't see them being even close to one another experientially. Entirely different beasts based on the gameplay video and extensive gameplay reviews we've got for PF:ACG up now.

Yeah, I don't see how they are anything alike either (other than being based in a fantasy environment.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are similar in that they are both board game adaptations of RPGs but each one goes about doing this in different ways. Both games play totally different as well. I think PACG will have more variety out of the box. Since it's card-based, it will be cheaper to expand and setup should be faster and easier as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the D&D Adventure games appeal more to younger gamers with the minis moving around a modular map, whereas the Pathfinder ACG would appeal to the more hard-core RPGer looker for a simpler DM-less game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
I think the D&D Adventure games appeal more to younger gamers with the minis moving around a modular map, whereas the Pathfinder ACG would appeal to the more hard-core RPGer looker for a simpler DM-less game.

I would think the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
secoAce wrote:

I would think the opposite.

I have yet to meet a child that would favor reading card text over painted figures given the choice.

For the real RPG player though game play is going to be the key not form factor. (as both pure pen and paper as well as minis & modular maps are equally common in that arena)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.