Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Red Menace» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
8.2.1 Allocating Interceptors

How do I determine the maximum number of interceptors available for that hex? Can the US use all 6 interceptors against one flight or are they limited to the number of bombers remaining in the Soviet flight?

Also, do the Soviets have to allocate interceptors equal to the number of bombers attacking a city? The example in the rules is not clear. For example, if I have three B-52s attacking Berlin do I have to allocate three Mig-19s or can I allocate any number between 1 and 3 or even none at all?

8.2.2 Assigning kills

The rules never address what happens to bombers that are shot down by interceptors. Are they treated the same as an unsuccessful attack and are not available later in the game?

Also, how does Soviet interception work? US/UK interceptors attack the flight, but do Soviet interceptors attack bombers individually or as a stack? How would attacking a stack work if the attacking bombers are a mix of B-47s and B-52s where some bombers have defense values and some don't? 8.2.2 reads as if the Soviet interceptors attack the stack of US/UK bombers but some in the stack may have defense values.

8.5 Air and Nike Defenses

Can they target any bomber in the hex? Are they limited to the interceptor conditions in 8.2.2 prioritizing targets?

9.1 Deploying US/UK AEW/Aerial Refueling

Do I get to choose between city A, B, and C or is there some sort of die roll to determine the city?


9.3.1 US AEW

Does the extra die count towards shooting down a Soviet Bomber or does it act like a re-roll? Could two interceptors conceivably shoot down an entire flight using the AEW bonus?

Also, does the bonus count towards F-102 nuclear missile attacks?

How do I determine which interceptor gets the extra AEW roll? For example, two CF-100s and the Arrow are attcking a flight. Does the Arrow get the extra roll or do I roll three times for the CF-100s?

9.4.2 Soviet Aerial Refueling

Does this bonus give each Soviet interceptor an extra roll or just the first Interceptor to attack a bomber that
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Let me know if I missed a question.

MMPgamer wrote:
8.2.1 Allocating Interceptors

How do I determine the maximum number of interceptors available for that hex? Can the US use all 6 interceptors against one flight or are they limited to the number of bombers remaining in the Soviet flight?


Yes, you may use all six if available. On some turns, you will have multiple flights arriving at the same time, so you must "allocate" them.

MMPgamer wrote:

Also, do the Soviets have to allocate interceptors equal to the number of bombers attacking a city? The example in the rules is not clear. For example, if I have three B-52s attacking Berlin do I have to allocate three Mig-19s or can I allocate any number between 1 and 3 or even none at all?


Nope, you must allocate 3 as stated 8.2.1 (one per bomber)

MMPgamer wrote:

8.2.2 Assigning kills

The rules never address what happens to bombers that are shot down by interceptors. Are they treated the same as an unsuccessful attack and are not available later in the game?


Yes, bombers that are killed either by interceptors or shot down over a city by ground defenses are removed from the game. The only time they are available later, for the US/UK player, is if they survive their city attack.

MMPgamer wrote:

Also, how does Soviet interception work? US/UK interceptors attack the flight, but do Soviet interceptors attack bombers individually or as a stack? How would attacking a stack work if the attacking bombers are a mix of B-47s and B-52s where some bombers have defense values and some don't? 8.2.2 reads as if the Soviet interceptors attack the stack of US/UK bombers but some in the stack may have defense values.


See 8.2.2 - bombers with the lower attacking rating survive the longest.

MMPgamer wrote:

8.5 Air and Nike Defenses

Can they target any bomber in the hex? Are they limited to the interceptor conditions in 8.2.2 prioritizing targets?


Yes, bombers with the lowest attack rating would still survive longer from Air and Nike Defenses as well.

MMPgamer wrote:

9.1 Deploying US/UK AEW/Aerial Refueling

Do I get to choose between city A, B, and C or is there some sort of die roll to determine the city?


Correction, you listed "UK" in the title but they do not benefit from US AEW and Refueling. For your side you choose the city.

MMPgamer wrote:

9.3.1 US AEW

Does the extra die count towards shooting down a Soviet Bomber or does it act like a re-roll? Could two interceptors conceivably shoot down an entire flight using the AEW bonus?


Yes they could. With two interceptors, you would roll three die at once with this bonus.

MMPgamer wrote:

Also, does the bonus count towards F-102 nuclear missile attacks?


Yes

MMPgamer wrote:

How do I determine which interceptor gets the extra AEW roll? For example, two CF-100s and the Arrow are attcking a flight. Does the Arrow get the extra roll or do I roll three times for the CF-100s?


I would say the aircraft with the best attacking rating, in this case the Arrow would get the roll.

MMPgamer wrote:

9.4.2 Soviet Aerial Refueling

Does this bonus give each Soviet interceptor an extra roll or just the first Interceptor to attack a bomber that


Just the first attack.

Be sure to give the new Strategic Deployment and Scramble Rules a try too. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Brent
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for replying, let me see if I have everything correct

Lets say that one B-47 and one B-52 is attacking a Soviet city. There are no other attacks anywhere else. This would require the Soviets to allocate two interceptors, no more, no less.

The Soviets have their tanker up, so the first MiG-19 will attack with two dice. The first roll is a hit so the B-47 is destroyed. I then roll the remaining two dice, both with a -1 because they are firing at the B-52.

What would happen if the first roll was a miss? Would I keep rolling against the B-47 until it was destroyed?

Also, how are Soviet interceptors allocated if there are more than five bombers attacking in the same turn?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MMPgamer wrote:
Thanks for replying, let me see if I have everything correct

Lets say that one B-47 and one B-52 is attacking a Soviet city. There are no other attacks anywhere else. This would require the Soviets to allocate two interceptors, no more, no less.


Correct, the developer, Barry Kendall explains the reasoning behind the interceptors for both the player and the Soviet side in a reply to this review: Red Menace: Can YOU Save the United States and Her Allies?

MMPgamer wrote:

The Soviets have their tanker up, so the first MiG-19 will attack with two dice. The first roll is a hit so the B-47 is destroyed. I then roll the remaining two dice, both with a -1 because they are firing at the B-52.

What would happen if the first roll was a miss? Would I keep rolling against the B-47 until it was destroyed?


Don't think of it as this specific interceptor attacks this bomber, just roll all of the dice for each interceptor (for those interceptors with like ratings, I roll Su-9 separately) and allocate hits starting with the B-47 and working up as mentioned in the rules.

MMPgamer wrote:

Also, how are Soviet interceptors allocated if there are more than five bombers attacking in the same turn?


Without bonuses to the Soviet interceptors, the sixth (or more) bomber will survive the interceptor phase but they can still get "shot down" by defenses by failing their attack on the city.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rbwphx wrote:
Don't think of it as this specific interceptor attacks this bomber, just roll all of the dice for each interceptor (for those interceptors with like ratings, I roll Su-9 separately) and allocate hits starting with the B-47 and working up as mentioned in the rules.


How can you roll all the dice at once if some of the attacking bombers have defense values and some don't?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MMPgamer wrote:

How can you roll all the dice at once if some of the attacking bombers have defense values and some don't?


Carl,

Here is an example of how I play:

- 1 x B-47 and 1 x B-52 attacking a city so it requires 2 Soviet Interceptors (all Mig-19 which need a 4 for success)
- I roll 2 dice all at once and get a result of 5 and 4.
- I apply the 5 to the B-47, because it has the higher/worse rating, which is a hit (they have no defense modifier).
- The 4 would then be applied to the B-52 but it has a defense modifier of -1, so the interceptor result becomes a 3 which is a miss.

I always apply the highest die to the first hit and so on. Sorry if that is not clear in the rules.

Regards,
Brent
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rbwphx wrote:
MMPgamer wrote:

How can you roll all the dice at once if some of the attacking bombers have defense values and some don't?


Carl,

Here is an example of how I play:

- 1 x B-47 and 1 x B-52 attacking a city so it requires 2 Soviet Interceptors (all Mig-19 which need a 4 for success)
- I roll 2 dice all at once and get a result of 5 and 4.
- I apply the 5 to the B-47, because it has the higher/worse rating, which is a hit (they have no defense modifier).
- The 4 would then be applied to the B-52 but it has a defense modifier of -1, so the interceptor result becomes a 3 which is a miss.

I always apply the highest die to the first hit and so on. Sorry if that is not clear in the rules.

Regards,
Brent

I see now. This really makes it hard to intercept B-52s and B-58s if you have B-47s soaking up the hits because the higher values that would be hits on the B-52s and B-58s are "wasted" on the B-47s who would be hit on a roll of 4.

How do you determine which stacks of US/UK bombers are to be intercepted if there are more than five attacking bombers total? How do you determine which stacks will be met 1-for-1 with MiG-19s and which stack will be intercepted with the remaining interceptors? Do you first assign interceptors to the stack with the most bombers? Also, how do you determine where the Su-9 is assigned once it is avalible?

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking a ton of questions. It's just that every one of these scenarios has occurred during the few times I've played the game so far.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MMPgamer wrote:

I see now. This really makes it hard to intercept B-52s and B-58s if you have B-47s soaking up the hits because the higher values that would be hits on the B-52s and B-58s are "wasted" on the B-47s who would be hit on a roll of 4.


Yep, that is a valid tactic. I even mention it in my Designer Notes posted here: Red Menace: Designer Notes

MMPgamer wrote:

How do you determine which stacks of US/UK bombers are to be intercepted if there are more than five attacking bombers total? How do you determine which stacks will be met 1-for-1 with MiG-19s and which stack will be intercepted with the remaining interceptors? Do you first assign interceptors to the stack with the most bombers?


For me, I have always resolved combat them left to right across the map. In the new supplementary rules we released, we go into a little more detail on how to determine the priority of which bombers are attacked first with the random Soviet Air Defenses. That same logic could be applied here, the city with the most attacking bombers, Moscow having priority, etc.

MMPgamer wrote:

Also, how do you determine where the Su-9 is assigned once it is avalible?


Once the Su-9 is available, it is always used in the first interception that turn. See Rule 8.2.3.

MMPgamer wrote:

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking a ton of questions. It's just that every one of these scenarios has occurred during the few times I've played the game so far.


No problem, I'm sure this thread will help someone else too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.