Subject: Windows Phone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any Windows Phone users with positive and/or negative things to say about it?

I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia 920, but don't know if I should wait for the 1020.

Primarily I'm looking to get it because I'm a Zune user, and so my music library is already compatible with it.

If I didn't get a Windows Phone, I'd get an Android based phone.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few Windows phone users at work, and they seem to love it. It certainly configures up to Exchange Server without any hassle.

But, I do feel compelled to say, I have never, ever, even once, looked about the Windows OS on my home machine, and thought to myself - "Self, what I need is this experience on my phone."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
COMPNOR wrote:
Primarily I'm looking to get it because I'm a Zune user...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
I have a few Windows phone users at work, and they seem to love it. It certainly configures up to Exchange Server without any hassle.

But, I do feel compelled to say, I have never, ever, even once, looked about the Windows OS on my home machine, and thought to myself - "Self, what I need is this experience on my phone."

Well, I'm not looking at it to get the Windows experience across from my computer to my phone. Like I said, I'm a Zune user, and once it goes I'm SOL. And as most smart phones act as a MP3 player, I figure it will fit right in.

I'm not 100% sold for the Windows Phone, but I'm not getting an iPhone so that leaves me with something Android based, which is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just something you probably know already - if your music library can be turned into a pile of MP3's, then it's easy to import that into google music, which works pretty well.

Sorry though, I have no help on whether Windows phone is good or not. I don't know anybody who has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Just something you probably know already - if your music library can be turned into a pile of MP3's, then it's easy to import that into google music, which works pretty well.

Sorry though, I have no help on whether Windows phone is good or not. I don't know anybody who has one.

I have thought about, I just find it more work then my lazy ass wants to do. That might be the route I go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My friend has the 1020 and it doubles very well as a high-quality mini-camera. Much higher quality than the 920. I haven't asked him about how he feels between the two phones though. Everyone who I've talked to who use Windows phones have really enjoyed the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you have handled the Lumia 920? I did recently, and I think the hardware was fantastic. Nice design. I am an Android user, so it wasn't what I was looking for, but still, nice phone. I am sure the 1020 is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
With Microsoft mobile products, developers fear is that they'll leave you out to rot, so the low app problem will be chronic. There's been windows mobile devices for a decade, and the moment you switched OSs, all applications would just fail to work, often even on minor revisions.

It's not bad tech, but if you can't trust your apps will work the minute you have to upgrade your phone, why buy their smartphone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the necro, but just wanted to chime in. I've been using Windows phone for about 2 years now. I currently have the Nokia 925 and it's a great piece of hardware. I really like the Windows Phone OS, and this coming from a die-hard Android user two years ago.

The apps haven't been a problem, there hasn't been one that I'm missing or not found a suitable replacement.

As far as worrying about Apps working when you upgrade, I've had way more problems going between Android versions than going from WP 7.5 -> 8. And into the future, WP8 is built on the NT Kernel, so I don't see any compatibility problems forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jander78 wrote:
Sorry for the necro, but just wanted to chime in. I've been using Windows phone for about 2 years now. I currently have the Nokia 925 and it's a great piece of hardware. I really like the Windows Phone OS, and this coming from a die-hard Android user two years ago.

The apps haven't been a problem, there hasn't been one that I'm missing or not found a suitable replacement.

As far as worrying about Apps working when you upgrade, I've had way more problems going between Android versions than going from WP 7.5 -> 8. And into the future, WP8 is built on the NT Kernel, so I don't see any compatibility problems forward.

No problem for the necro. Always looking for opinions.

Thanks for your insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.