Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Astyaro
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi:
The other day my wife and I where in the mood for a RRT session but neither of us was willing to set up the Game. So I took out the game, got the Middle section of the Board only. Took out the Major Line, Delivery, and Hotel Cards that were irrelevant to the Board, set up all the goods ( +1 cube as in the 2 player rules) and started to Play.
I can tell you we had a great time. For one thing there were a lot of conflicts of interest with the links and goods because of the few cities on the Board (something that never happened when we played with the whole board). There where a lot of competition for the delivery of goods and at one point I saw that my wife was considering building the western Link so I immediately started to build links to Chicago . When she finished the link it was a cut throat competition to see who could get more goods form Chicago. We made 7 and 8 link deliveries. At the end she won but it was a very close end.

I recommend this Variant to those couples who like us fight over who will set up the game and end not playing because no one yields.
We where even able to play in our small TV room coffee table!!!!!

Advantages:
Fewer Cities (but not too few), Western Links, Chicago , all the colours cities, More Conflict and SMALLER GAME TABLE!!!!!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this variant--my fiance and I just tried it and it is a blast and actually pretty darn well balanced (2 of each color on the table). I highly recommend this variant--only question I had is the +1 cubes? Isn't it -1 cubes in the normal 2 player rules? Have you experimented with cube amounts at all?

Also, if you've played this variant a few times, any thoughts on the victory conditions? Have you been using the same ones?

edit: whoops, gotta always check how long ago the article was written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play the partial hexes, which IIRC include Atlanta, Savannah, Chicago, and the south edge of the Appalachians? Are these spaces verboten?

My wife suggested allowing plays on those hexes, however cities that have their "number" chopped off get no starting cubes (there's no number, see?), but can receive deliveries, have hotels, major lines, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Retallack
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I played two games using the middle board variant. We found that this variant worked well. When playing only with 2 players we do not auction for starting player, but we may incorporate the auction because the operations cards become quite essential (especially the new industry card).

During the first game I built the Western Link much too early and was cash strapped the entire game. This led to a run-away game for my wife. The final score delta in the second game was only 2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What victory conditions do I use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the middle board game yesterday with the 'beginner' version rules. It works great! Ending Conditions was 8 empty cities. I did use the +1 rule but didn't really like that as it made luck more important. Will use original setup (so not -1) next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the middle board variant with my Mom last night (without the +1 cube distribution)... It was great! There was some fierce competition for deliveries, the game ran for an appropriate amount of time (~100 minutes), and a good time was had by all.

From others who have tried it, did you allow deliveries to the half cities along the bottom of the map? We didn't and thought that it kept the board fairly tight. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting idea, although I too am confused by the +1 cube for 2 players rather than -1. Is the +1 cube necessary due to the reduced number of cities?

I hope that the forthcoming Railways of Europe map will be smaller and more suitable for 2-4 players so that we can reserve the original map for our 4-6 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to trying this variant. The two player on the full US map is a decent and excellent game (and plays in less than an hour), but I suspect that this suggested variant would make the game tighter and more interactive.

I'd like clarification on two questions:

1. What is to be done with the cities that are only half on this part of the map?

2. Do you play with the full number of cubes, or do you still reduce cities with 2 or more cubes by one? (with Rails of Europe, the number of cubes is not reduced for two or three players, as confirmed here, so I expect the same would be the case when using the Middle Board variant, also being a tighter game with fewer players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has no one weighed in on whether or not the "half-cities" are used?

I just picked this game up, and will be playing it mostly as a 2-player game. I intend to make use of this "middle board" variant, and want to experience the best way to do it.

So, half-cities: yes or no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
Has no one weighed in on whether or not the "half-cities" are used?

It's not a definitive and final answer, but you will find some useful feedback on precisely this question in another thread here:

Amount of cubes and which cities to use with the middle board variant for two players?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/346346

So that's a start, but it would be helpful to get some more responses from those who have tried this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had read somewhere of a 2-player variant using just the middle board. My wife and I had already played using the entire board so I suggested we try this variant. Since the entire game was already set up I didn't have any partial cities and any that were in the middle portion got cubes put on them. Only the cities fully/partially on the middle section got cubes put on them.
I placed the stated amount of cubes on each city (in the normal 2-player I only reduce 4 and 5 cities by ONE good anyhow) and took out all cards that didn't pertain. We used 10 empty city markers.
The game lasted 40 minutes and she won 52-48. I thought it was much more fun than using the entire board (for 2 players) and we had more points of conflict. Another game was played and I won that one 55-50 so that score area seems to be the norm.
The only problem we had was Dover as it's cut off by a peninsula. I decided to put a cube on it but make it unplayable. This is so you don't waste an empty city marker on it or get confused with 11 instead of 10. Another possibility is building a Ferry space there for $8,000 (just use a normal track mountain section) and costing 2 moves to get across, i.e: a Level 1 train can't get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We only used it if it had connections on the board and you could read the name. This left us with 2 of each color and 14 gray cities. So the two mostly full cities in the South were ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game with 2 players in the middle. It's a decent alternative to the full game. I agree with the last player - the two cities at the bottom aren't used if you can't read the names. But overall, I don't think it matters. Whatever city configuration you choose, it is still a fairly fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jfkoski
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Thanks for posting this variant. My friend and I tried it for the first time tonight. We used the new rules for Railways of the World:
-4 points for the first player to deliver 4 different colors (instead of upgrading to #4 engine).
-$3000 for any track laid on water.
-Major Lines start the game in addition to 4 (2 players x2) Operations Cards.
-Service Bounty to Louisville is 4 (not 3).

It turns out the only Major Line in play is the Richmond-Atlanta route for 8 points. I thought it should be reduced to 6 points, years ago, but they didn't change it for the new version. If we play this again, it will be shuffled in (and reduced to 6).

We played with -1 cube per city (min 1). The game seemed OK, because with the reduced deck (non-middle cards were removed) there were plenty of opportunities to bring in new cubes.

I won the bid for first and started Richmond-Raleigh to deliver 2 cubes on the first turn, next delivered to my hotel in Charleston, then connected Atlanta a few turns later for 8 points and a commanding lead.

My opponent worked around Louisville and eventually upgraded to 6 engine (for the Tycoon/Baron bonus), and got a Western Link. I grabbed the hotel in Chicago which caused him not to want to deliver reds. The Louisville card never came out.

The game ended the turn after we cleared the 10th city.

PS:
42 cubes start on Middle Board with -1 (min 1) rule (not counting Dover).
52 cubes start on Railways of Mexico board.
57 cubes start on Middle Board with no deductions.
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.