Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Cope
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is in a pattern when playing this game. There are 4 of us, so the typical first rounds go like this:

- Lay a train
- Draw a stock
- Discard stock for UP

This happens every turn until all 20 UP are gone and evenly distributed. There has to be a way to take advantage of this "group-think". I have read the unlimited UP variant, but I would like to hear some thoughts. If I dont follow the pattern, I will be last in UP and the person to my left will be first in UP.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yeah there's a way to take advantage! Stop trading for UP and keep that valuable real stock for yourself. If the three other players spend five turns drawing UP, that will give you five more non-UP stocks than every other player at the table, and you're still coming in fourth in UP. If they're really in lockstep about this, you might want to take ONE more UP stock so that they'll tie at 6-6-6... or you might not. Or while they're busy drawing stock, you may be able to meld early and have some stock down for the first dividend round... maybe even for the trains they've been building.

Lots of ways to attack here!

Good luck,
StvenC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Cope
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of taking 2 UP and having them tie at 6-6-6. That way no one has a lead. I will try this next time!

Kyle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also keep in mind that rarely does UP win a game for you...

I am happy to let people discard stock early on for UP. Aside from Green and Red, I don't think early on discarding stock is a good idea. You need to lock up your "ponies" so to speak before sacrificing a lot to get UP.

I am luke warm, despite Mr. Moon's intentions, on unlimited UP. I find, depending on the length of the game, this to be unbalanced. For example, let's say Brown gets blocked out (which is pretty easy to do) you have a scenario where drawing brown becomes a luck of the draw for easy UP stock.

Also, don't forget discarding UP stock for UP stock...good way to starve the market if you are in the lead with UP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gregor1863 wrote:
Also, don't forget discarding UP stock for UP stock...good way to starve the market if you are in the lead with UP.

Although the rule mentioned above is definitely legal (even verified by Mr. Moon, IIRC) our group personally hates it and house rules it out.

Discard UP for UP - Bah! But on that point, rather than giving away one "good" stock with the minimal UP strategy shooting for a 6-6-6 tie, do give away your initial UP for one additional UP to force the 6-6-6 and still keep all your stock (assuming you play with the rule that we don't).

edit - can't spell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e_sandrs wrote:
gregor1863 wrote:

Although the rule mentioned above is definitely legal (even verified by Mr. Moon, IIRC) our group personally hates it and house rules it out.

Yeah, I agree it is semi-cheesy. It actually doesn't come up too often in our group.

I am entering my 1st UP tourney at Origins this year, so I will be interested to see how others play UP stock. I have played with some groups who will make their 1st 5 draws UP. Our group tends to draw UP overtime and it is usually around the 3rd dividend before the winner is settled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.