Subject: tile stacking question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic Turpin
Canada
blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
Just received the game and one after going thru the rules one thing remains unclear.

It says that you cannot stack similar tiles onto each other (a 3-piece directly onto a 3-piece) and the example suggests that placing it in such a way that part of a 3-piece on another 3-piece and the rest on a 2-piece is okay.

Question is, is the restriction only that you cannot stack the tiles in the same fashion (3-piece directly on the same 3-piece underneath), or is it okay to have a 3-piece touch two other 3-piece tiles underneath?

Since the single and two terrain tiles quantity is pretty limited, my assumption would be that you can stack a 3-piece directly onto two other 3-pieces

am I right?

(hope this is clear)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can stack a 3 piece on two three pieces, but you can't put a three peice directly on top of another such.

The stacking rules are somewhat confusing, particularly the one where a move is legal so long as it does't fall over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitas Povilaitis
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
> The stacking rules are somewhat confusing, particularly the one where a move is legal so long as it does't fall over...

Not at all. This means that you can't have a tile floating over an empty space. You have to have a tile hex supporting each hex that you're placing.

Sincerely,
Vitas Povilaitis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile stacking rules, as much as they can cause issues during the game (because it can become difficult to see what kind of tiles are stacked up sometimes) are absolutely critical to Java being as interesting as it is.

One of the main skills in the game is being able to block the placement of certain tile types by positioning your workers well, and, conversely, on the offensive end of things, making creative piles of tiles to make the terrain do what you want it to do, when you want it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fassbinder
Australia
North Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard not to love this site. Any obscure rules question about a long out-of-print game can seemingly be answered quickly!

I was hanging out with Derk (name dropper!) scabbing free wifi from the Starbucks at the Essen Hauptbanhof some years back, and while I forget the full context of the conversation (some marketing opportunity) he at one point said "I got board game information running down the crack of my ass".

He certainly did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.