The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Which Expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

I've no interest in buying all of the expansions but will probably want to expand the base set gradually over time and am wondering about which expansion sets to get?
More cards and more characters are okay but I don't mind deck building within a constrained environment. I'm much more interested in the quests. Which quests should I get to give the best possible range of scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Hobbit expansions are quite good, and Watcher in the Water/Foundations of Stone have some great cards and very cool quests.

If you want more Gondor-related rather than Moria, I would go for Heirs of Numenor, but be prepared for a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nehima
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The Hobbit boxes are certainly a solid choice. They contain 4 heroes and quite a lot of player cards each.
The quests also seem to be great (though I didn't play them myself).
Have a look at these great reviews: Over Hill and Under Hill and On the Doorstep.

It's probably the best "bang for your buck" that you can get.
However the two saga expansions are pretty focused on Dwarves and the Hobbit stories, so if you don't like any of those they are probably not the best choice for you then.

My personal favorite quests of each cycle:

Conflict at the Carrock and Journey to Rhosgobel for the Mrikwood cycle.
CotC has some nice, challenging bossfighting, but is also a fair solo quest.
JtR is a very thematic quest and quite differnt to all the others.
Have a look at this discussion for more opinions.

As for the Dwarrowdelf cycle:
I enjoyed all of them, but if I had to choose: Watcher in the Water (not easy, but quite managable difficulity and a great theme) and Foundations of Stone. Both also contain some powerful heroes.
Discussion at FFG forum.

There's also a new player buying guide from the Tales from the Cards blog:
http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/new-player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
The Hobbit expansions are quite good, and Watcher in the Water/Foundations of Stone have some great cards and very cool quests.

If you want more Gondor-related rather than Moria, I would go for Heirs of Numenor, but be prepared for a challenge.

Core only + HoN is a really bad idea - you just don't have the card pool to win any of the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nehima
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Flamehearted wrote:
spurries wrote:

Core only + HoN is a really bad idea - you just don't have the card pool to win any of the scenarios.
True. Easy Mode will probably reduce the challenge a bit, but the quests are still quite hard.

Their new mechanics (Siege, Battle) also require new strategies and deck builds. That's something you can't really appreciate if you didn't play some of the older quests first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:

I've no interest in buying all of the expansions but will probably want to expand the base set gradually over time and am wondering about which expansion sets to get?
More cards and more characters are okay but I don't mind deck building within a constrained environment. I'm much more interested in the quests. Which quests should I get to give the best possible range of scenarios?

As stated above, based on your requirements the two Hobbit expansions are probably the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I agree...
The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill and The Hobbit: On the Doorstep together are the way to go. Don't get just one of them though. The challange will be too severe without both sets. They are developed to work together. (If you have a good set of cards from other expansions, it is not nesessary, but with only core set or two this will be reasonable challenging...)

After that it may be a good idea to look what is in other packages and think what you want. If you are going to multisphere decks, you want to get those song cards from the first cycle (or if you are interested in eagles, the same thing). If you are interested in dungeonspelling, the Moria is the way to go (and a lots of dwarfs). If you are interested in more fighting consentrated games, third cycle is the way, but you have to pick some expansions from earlier that support military aspect of the third cycle or at least use easy mode rules. Actually HOM is no so difficult, you just need different kind of deck than in earlier campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nehima wrote:

As for the Dwarrowdelf cycle:
I enjoyed all of them, but if I had to choose: Watcher in the Water (not easy, but quite managable difficulity and a great theme) and Foundations of Stone. Both also contain some powerful heroes.
Discussion at FFG forum.

To play these quests you will need the Khazad-Dum deluxe expansion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.