Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this gorgeous game on the table over the weekend. Played two games...

Game 1 a slow-moving German assault which included some heavy fighting in Nancy got split by a French thrust up through Luxembourg which cut supply lines to the armies in Belgium. A quick restart...

Game 2 the Germans pushed much harder in Belgium and ignored the south. The Entente got stuck in a meat grinder in Artois, foolishly depleting their lines everywhere else to paper-thin levels to make good on losses suffered there. Eventually (Summer 1917) the Germans rolled elsewhere down the line, tearing a gaping hole and eventually securing a DV.

Observation 1: Wow, do those two games sound like plausible WWI in the west outcomes!

Observation 2: I like the way the game plays, with relatively little movement until suddenly things come apart for one side or the other. Really evocative of WWI, and there are definitely some clever design elements at work here.

Rules question 1: Can a unit (e.g. single infantry) move into a space with 3 units (e.g. 3 armies) to join an army? The rules say you can't move THROUGH a space that's fully stacked, but also say that you must observe stacking limits at all times. So I think you could take either view.

Rules question 2: The German 17th and 18th come in anywhere in the campaign? Any friendly/disputed space?

Rules question 3: So the game runs to the end of 1919 unless there is a DV, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback. I'm not the game designer, but having played the game a lot of times, and having prepared the layout of the rules (and its French translation), I'm confident to confirm that:

1) Stacking limits have to be strictly respected, at any moment.
2) Correct
3) Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cristophe! And thanks again for the beautiful production of the game...really spectacular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:

Rules question 1: Can a unit (e.g. single infantry) move into a space with 3 units (e.g. 3 armies) to join an army? The rules say you can't move THROUGH a space that's fully stacked, but also say that you must observe stacking limits at all times. So I think you could take either view.

Taken from the Q&A on the Nuts! website:

Q: I know that Stacking limits must always be observed,
even during movement. But let’s say I have three friendly
armies in an area. Can I move a unit from an adjacent area
and add it to one of the armies? Or is this a stacking limit
violation, since before merging with the army this unit
would count as a fourth unit in the area?

A: The former. A unit does not move into an area and then
move into an army. It moves directly into the army and so
would not violate stacking limits.
This also applies to any
units moving out of these three armies as long as the unit
ends up in another area/army. Note, however, that units
moving more than one area (i.e., cavalry, Rail Moves, etc.)
may not pass through an area already at its Stacking limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.