Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I was originally highly skeptical of the Challenge Deck. I like to roll dice. However, it has won me over. The beauty of the deck is the way it resolves a variety of game effects with a minimum of hassle. I am not so much concerned about maintaining the perfect bell curve, but you don't really get that effect in DOA2 anyway. This is not like Settlers of Catan where each die roll affects all players equally with one specific effect. In DOA2, you will regularly draw your Auto-Amaze card for a dismissal, or your opponent may get it if you are using only a single challenge deck. It is not as though you are guaranteed your perfect bell curve for each type of result.

My issue with the challenge deck mainly revolves around the extreme results: the Auto-Amaze and Auto-FOPP cards. I LIKE the tension and excitement of knowing those cards are in the deck. The great thing about dice is that any result can come up at any time. With the Challenge Deck, once you've seen the Auto-FOPP (Weapon Breaks) card, you know you are safe from that effect. Similarly, once you draw the Auto-Amaze, that miracle is now out of your reach.

In order to maintain some of the tension, I'm thinking about ways to introduce Challenge Deck reshuffles. Here are 3 ideas:

1) Add a “Reshuffle” card to the deck.
Take something like a blank Race from the Galaxy card or spare MtG card, put it in the deck, then reshuffle whenever it comes up.

2) Reshuffle when the Luck number on the drawn card matches the Luck number on the card on top of the discard pile.

3) Reshuffle after the Auto-Amaze or Auto-FOPP (Weapon Breaks) cards are drawn
This approach takes on my main concern head-on.

I would recommend that the reshuffles not be done until the end of the player's turn, in order to avoid slowing down the game. Just put a marker on the deck to remind you to reshuffle at the end of your turn.

So what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

Great idea!

The Master Set comes with two blank Common equipment cards. I do not plan on creating my own so I think I will throw them into the challenge decks blank side up and reshuffle when they float to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.