Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This past weekend, another highly successful event in the Protospiel series took place in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've seen a lot of positive testimonials come across on Facebook about it and we had such a productive, fun time this past Spring, that we're holding a Fall event, too...

Protospiel - Milwaukee

If you've never done an event like this before, this would be a great chance to flex your game design and playtest mental muscles in a big group of friendly, motivated fellow designers. Protospiel is all about getting together to share and trade ideas, tips, and feedback with one another. There will be everyone from publishers and accomplished crowdfunding game makers through aspiring designers looking to make the leap to published works to people just working out the details on their hobby project - that last one is mostly me!

Protospiel is a great chance to "work" on your gaming hobby, to be a part of making your game and other people's games a success. 75+ people joined us at the Spring event and with the new venue, we're set for even more this time around.

If you have questions about it, feel free to ask; I'm a volunteer who helps with the organizing, so if I don't know the answers, I'll find out who does.

Hope you can join us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I spoke with the Best Western Plus where the event will be held this past week and they reminded me that the best time to make a reservation is before September 6th... if you'll be staying at the hotel, don't forget to register soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Oh... and I understand there's going to be a seminar about Protospiel at Gencon in a few weeks. I hope to volunteer on that panel at that time too, so that'd be another great chance to talk about this event and experiences with indie and co-op games development and publishing.

Heh... I said "co-op"; I mean "co-operative" in the economic sense, not the game design sense. People work together and share time at a Protospiel; we work on a lot more than co-op games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We have opened up the pre-registration for this event. Visit the site and click through to pay.

http://www.Protospiel-Milwaukee.org

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll be one of the panel speakers available for questions at the Gencon 2013 Protospiel seminar;

Playtesting Your Game at Protospiel (SEM1344522), Friday 11AM

This would be an excellent opportunity to learn about game design and publishing from a variety of veteran designers, specifically the great rewards that cooperative design sessions provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You know what's hard about playtesting a game? Finding people to do it. Fresh eyes who have the right mindset, people who want to be helpful and understand the process. That's what makes Protospiel so effective; you're sharing time and skill with other game designers to make each other's products better. One person brings a wealth of experience, but two is more than twice as good - you'll find a lot of great synergy and brainstorming opportunities with other designers.

Protospiel events are held throughout the year and around the country. If you can't make ours, do some digging and see if you can hook up with another one. I find it's my most productive weekend of the year, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cosine wrote:
Playtesting Your Game at Protospiel (SEM1344522), Friday 11AM

Had a great time seeing old hands at this seminar and felt really good about sharing what makes Protospiel special. Thanks to all my fellow panelists - sorry I had to dash early to an event I had.

It really got me excited for our upcoming event; a successful pitch of a prototype also didn't hurt either... looking forward to getting help working on my steampunk university game at the end of September!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Waukegan
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I live just south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border and am very interested in coming, just as a playtester. How would this work out? Do you know what types of prototypes will be there at this point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
geikenberry wrote:
Hey, I live just south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border and am very interested in coming, just as a playtester. How would this work out? Do you know what types of prototypes will be there at this point?

Playtesters are welcome and just pay $5 at the door. This is so there is no pre-reg hassle and people can bring their friends to the show to help out.

We always have a large mix of prototypes at the show, but mostly light/faimily games, medium-heavy euro games, and ameratrash games. Not so many party style games or word style games.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
geikenberry wrote:

Personally, I think it would totally be worth your time. We always have many more games than we've got playtesters, so having more help on hand is always welcome. We only ask for the $5 to help defray the cost of the venue; it's a little more if you want to share a prototype of your own, but playtesting is the purpose of the event.

I would say that prototypes come in from all over the spectrum. Mostly I would say they are middle weight games shooting for some complexity and finishing in 60 to 90 minutes. Often people are trying out something new or innovative... and ideas range quite a bit. It's a great way to get exposure to lots of kinds of games and share your expertise as a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Ecenbarger

Muncie
Indiana
msg tools
designer
publisher
Can't wait to check this event out. Reserved our hotel room this afternoon.

We're (sizzlemoth) is bringing a couple different designs with us. One is a family/party game (Double Up), another is a real time dice roller (Luck of the Draw), and if we can get the prototypes whipped up a pattern matching robot building game. There is more information on these games on our website (sizzlemoth.com) if you want a heads-up before the spiel.

Can't wait to meet everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Waukegan
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
geikenberry wrote:

Personally, I think it would totally be worth your time. We always have many more games than we've got playtesters, so having more help on hand is always welcome. We only ask for the $5 to help defray the cost of the venue; it's a little more if you want to share a prototype of your own, but playtesting is the purpose of the event.

I would say that prototypes come in from all over the spectrum. Mostly I would say they are middle weight games shooting for some complexity and finishing in 60 to 90 minutes. Often people are trying out something new or innovative... and ideas range quite a bit. It's a great way to get exposure to lots of kinds of games and share your expertise as a player.

Cool, thanks a bunch for the info! You and James and have convinced me to go. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
One of the things I like the best about this Protospiel event is that we encourage play testers to come. The original idea of Protospiel is designers helping designers, but there's always so much more that needs to get done than time to do it... I always come away from other play testing events thinking we could have really used an extra dozen or so insightful and involved players not showing prototypes of their own to give more perspective and get more done.

So, as this event, play testers are very welcome. For them, it's largely a weekend of gaming - just talk about the game during and afterward like you probably always do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Ecenbarger

Muncie
Indiana
msg tools
designer
publisher
sizzlemoth will be in Milwauekee Friday night. Not entirely sure on the time yet, but if anyone wants to get together for a game or a drink get a hold of us! Twitter is the easiest way.

Looking forward to the event.

We're bringing 2 games: the newest version of Luck of the Draw, a real time dice roller, and Double Up, a family/party dice and card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Protospiel - Milwaukee today is at the Best Western today! NOT the Ramada! Directions at the BOTTOM are WRONG. Directions in the MIDDLE are right! Sorry for the useless message if you won't be joining us today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have a survey available to help improve the event. You can find it at;

http://www.surveyexpression.com/Survey.aspx?id=13544060-9ccc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I was given two passes to GameholeCon to offer to people who had attended this event. The drawing was registered through the Protospiel Facebook group. The following people registered;

1. Kane Klenko
2. Brett Myers
3. David Lankton
4. Scott Metzger
5. Ian Price

Pass one d5 = (5) = 5 - Ian Price
Pass two d5 = (4) = 4 - Scott Metzger

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 443630. cosine
  • d5 =
  • (5) =
  • Pass one
  • Tue Oct 8, 2013 6:01 pm
  • [+]
  • 443631. cosine
  • d5 =
  • (4) =
  • Pass two
  • Tue Oct 8, 2013 6:02 pm
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.