Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Mayfair 1997 run of Settlers still the most recent?

I recently bought Seafarers and noticed it was printed in 2003. Curious about the difference I found a picture of the 1998 contents and box. The 1998 printing has a black & white paper rulebook, similar to my Settlers 1997. My 2003 printing has a full color glossy rulebook.

I am curious if there was a 2000+ year printing of Settlers. I notice on the Mayfair website, they say their replacement Settlers manual is in color. If there is a newer printing run of Settlers, I would pick it up, especially if there is an updated color rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Settlers of Catan for my sister and brother in law this last Christmas and was dismayed to see that the rulebook and almanac were both black and white photocopies. The only other difference I recognized was a trial Settlers CD-ROM and a Catan catalog with all the Catan-themed games (including Domaine and Entdecker).

I purchased my copy several years ago an the rulebook and almanac were color professional print jobs. Other Mayfair games I've bought recently (like Modern Art) also have photocopied rules, which seems pretty cheap to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I also recently (last month) purchased both Settlers and Modern Art from an online retailer, and both came with (very disappointing) black and white rulebooks that seemed barely a notch above photocopies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
They really need to rewrite the rulebooks too, as well as make them glossy and nice.

I mean really, this is a simple game, but whoever came up with the rulebook format (an almanac? How is anybody supposed to know what to do with that? And if it isn't a rule book, as it says, why are there rules that are only in the almanac?) really wasn't thinking clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I purchased my copy several years ago an the rulebook and almanac were color professional print jobs. Other Mayfair games I've bought recently (like Modern Art) also have photocopied rules, which seems pretty cheap to me.

I am interested in knowing the copyright date on the box which included the color manuals.

Like I said, I have the 1997 dated box and mine includes a decent quality black & white printed set of manuals. The quality of my new glossy, color Seafarers manual is much better and for collection purposes I would like to grab a newer print run of Settlers if it includes similar quality manuals.

I wonder if the 5-6 player expansion received the same color upgrade? I have only seen the 1999 printing with black & white documents. I have only seen the 2000 printing of Cities & Knights and it appears to always have the color manuals, but not sure if they are glossy.

I just fired off an email to Mayfair customer service to see if they know the current printing dates for the Catan games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the regular editions, but the new 3D Treasure Chest is copyrighted 2005. The rules and almanac are very nicely printed and glossy. The book also is updated with the current official rules and clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Incorvati
United States
Ashtabula
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just bought the 2003 Mayfair printing. Rules/Almanac is in color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting.

I still haven't had a reply from Mayfair to verify if the other expansions have received the same treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the scoop for the curious:

Settlers:
1997 b&w
1999 b&w
2003 color (this edition did not switch to color manual until November 2005 according to Mayfair and it is a new completely updated and unified manual; until then, the 2003 editions came with the original b&w manual from 1999)

Seafarers:
1998 b&w
2003 color (in 2002 they colorized the b&w manual, but made no other changes; the 2003 edition has full color with updated rules and fixes)

Cities & Knights:
2000 color
2003 color (identical to the 2000 printing)

The 5-6 player expansions:
Settlers: The original 1999 release is the only one and was never revised - includes b&w manuals
Seafarers: 1999 release with color manuals
Cities & Knights: Both the original 2000 and revised 2001 editions are still b&w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.