Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scales of Thoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kentt h
msg tools
I have a question about the Scales of Thoth (revised)
Quote:
Any: You may exhaust this card to reduce your Sanity to equal your Stamina or reduce your Stamina to equal your Sanity. While this card is exhausted and your Sanity and Stamina are equal, gain +1 on all skill checks.

If you have equal amount of sanity and stamina to begin with, can you use the effect of this card?
We played that we couldn't since it does say that you must reduce on or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentt wrote:
I have a question about the Scales of Thoth (revised)
Quote:
Any: You may exhaust this card to reduce your Sanity to equal your Stamina or reduce your Stamina to equal your Sanity. While this card is exhausted and your Sanity and Stamina are equal, gain +1 on all skill checks.

If you have equal amount of sanity and stamina to begin with, can you use the effect of this card?
We played that we couldn't since it does say that you must reduce on or the other.

I would rule that you could. You can exhaust the card and reduce by 0. You now fulfill the final sentence: the card is exhausted and your are "balanced" so you get the +1.

The first part is just to get you to equalize without having to wait for fate to do it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played that we can use it when our stats are equal. The Exhibit items are supposed to be fairly powerful items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur with Brian and Austin ~ I'm sure someone has a more scientific term to explain this, but in essence, the card is asking you to render your character in a state (balanced Sanity and Stamina) which already exists, thus you have met the requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think of it more like this: the item gives you a +1 when your sanity and stamina are equal. However, it gives you the additional option to make your sanity and stamina equal, should you wish to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.