Dark World» Forums » General

Subject: Dug my old copy up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel V

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had this for years. I purchased it at retail back when it was new. I expected something like Heroquest, which I suppose it kinda-sorta is, but not quite. My friends and I played it once, and then it was disassembled and hasn't been played since. In the interrim, the miniatures were hijacked for Heroquest and pieces were borrowed for this purpose or that.

A couple of weeks back, I was doing inventory on my Heroquest sets. Pieces from Heroquest, Battlemasters, Advanced Heroquest, and Dark World were all mixed in together. I decided to separate all these things out. I was, quite frankly, amazed when I discovered the only piece I was missing for Dark World was a single healing potion. Despite having all it's pieces shuffled through several games, it was still intact.

Dark World had some serious good things going for it. It was a lavish game with lots of cool toys. The 3D "castle" was nice. The miniatures were all cool looking. The Heroes had swappable weapons and clicky bases to keep track of hit points without extra character cards. The board had openable doors and secret passages. There were even openable chests with gold weapons. The "sword" which was used to determine turn order was even fairly neat. There's no disputing that it had "toy value" in spades.

The problem was, the game was simply boring to play, especially to a bunch of players used to the complexity of Heroquest. Dark World didn't try to be Heroquest, but was inevitably going to be judged along the same lines due to its presentation. If anything, it played more like a fantasy themed version of The Game of Life with combat.

Looking back on it, the game is ripe for house ruling the hell out of. And, I'm sure most Heroquest players immediately saw it's value as a sort of expansion for that game. I read the rulebook again, but I just couldn't work up the desire to attempt another game. So, I carefully, and reverently, put all the pieces back up, and put the game in a safe spot.

Maybe in another 14 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goldman
United States
Freeville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gabriel,

Welcome to the 'Geek! I agree with what you're saying about Dark World. It seems that, unlike other similar games, it is only one adventure, rather than a whole slew of scenarios.

When I finally heard about the two expansions, it dawned on me that each game was basically one scenario in a three scenario campaign. More or less, at least. Not sure if you're familiar with the two expansions, which can be read about here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1778 -- Dragon's Gate

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1777 -- Village of Fear

--Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pate
Scotland
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played Heroquest with my 5 yr old son (albeit a simplified house rules version) I couldn't see myself playing this either. I could just hear the "its the same again?" question if we did. I ended up just cannibalising it for it's excellent parts.

For the thrift price I paid it was easily worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.