Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly see people referencing BGG's rating scale when they apply a number rating to a game they own or have played. I'd like to find out how, for example, BGG describes an "8" rating or a rating of "4".

Is there an actual description of the scale here somewhere so that I can rate my games more accurately?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/ratings (first result when I google "boardgamegeek ratings")
It also is available as popup help next to the rating box.

But I would argue that it won't help you rate your games more accurately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
I constantly see people referencing BGG's rating scale when they apply a number rating to a game they own or have played. I'd like to find out how, for example, BGG describes an "8" rating or a rating of "4".

Is there an actual description of the scale here somewhere so that I can rate my games more accurately?

Thanks

ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
curtc wrote:
But I would argue that it won't help you rate your games more accurately.

I concur. If you rate your absolute favourite a 10, and your most loathed a 1, then the rest must logically fall in between. And as long as every game you rated n represents games you like a little less, in the broadest sense, than games you rated n + 1, you're fine.

And before you ask Is that all there is to it?: yes, that is all there is to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just make sure you rate the correct games higher as people tend to get somewhat jangled when there are obvious mistakes made by people who obviously do it incorrectly and don't know any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the rating descriptions is that it clumps "desire to play" with "overall quality". There are games that I recognize as well-designed, but I have no desire to play. Likewise, there are games I wish to play often, but are obviously flawed.

I stick with "desire to play", since that is the most meaningful for myself and anyone else looking for the best games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desire to play is my major driver as well. If the game is well-designed but I don't enjoy it, then the rating reflects my opinion. I've played a few games that the general BGG population loves that I find "meh". I find certain types of games I'm right with the population, but some types of games just aren't my thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.