Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
"Caerghallan" Marc W.
Germany
Wingst
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions about group combat and the wolf form of Dracula:

1.If Dracula uses his wolf form power, can he "cross" his trail by jumping over a location that`s in his trail (and the movement ends in a city not part of the trail)?

2.If Dracula enters a location with two or more hunters in it, does he have to fight them as a group, even if the hunters previously haven`t declared to form a group?

3.If a hunter enters a location with Dracula and another hunter in it, may he attack Dracula together with the other hunter as a group or does he have to face him on his own?

4. Is it possible that a group of hunters moves (for example in Lord Godalming`s turn) and later that same round a hunter that is part of the group uses his own movement additionally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guesses.

1. Came up last night. I think so. No card needs to be played for the crossed spot, so I'd say yes.

2. If Dracula moves in, I'd say yes.

3. No, they have to have formed a group, so I think it would be one on one.

4. No, if you move as a group, that is the turn for both hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
2. If Dracula moves in, I'd say yes.

I'd've guessed "no," as the rules explicitly define the creation of a group, but on p. 14 it's explicit: If there are one or more Hunters in Dracula’s location, he must attack them as a group. Combat immediately begins (see “Combat” on page 15 and, if there are multiple Hunters, “Group Combat” on page 24).

Quote:

Less sure on this one, because of the above rule and this rule on p. 18: More Than One Hunter If more than one Hunter is involved in a combat, then see the section for “Group Combat” on page 24.

This could use some official clarification, methinks, as it's easy to argue this one both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jon Waddington wrote:

Quote:

Less sure on this one, because of the above rule and this rule on p. 18: More Than One Hunter If more than one Hunter is involved in a combat, then see the section for “Group Combat” on page 24.

This could use some official clarification, methinks, as it's easy to argue this one both ways.

English rulebook, page 23, middle column, second sentence:
Two or more Hunters that start the round in the same location can opt to form a Group.

Thus it seems clear that they can't form a group DURING a round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree there is room to question here because the rules do not say two hunters in the same town automatically are considered a group. In fact it says specifically that they may form a group at the beginning of the Hunter's turn not at the end of their turn if they are in the same city. I would tend to think that they should be considered a group if they are together in the same city and attacked by Dracula. I think common sense dictates this. However I would like to see something official on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Quote:
If a hunter enters a location with Dracula and another hunter in it, may he attack Dracula together with the other hunter as a group or does he have to face him on his own?

Until an official ruling comes out we've been playing that you can't group up. Seems kind of straight forward.

Any hunter already at the location will have already had a turn this round. So the current player is moving into a site with a player who alrady had their turn. Thus if they grouped up that previous player would in effect be getting a second turn.

In theory if every hunter moved into the same site with Dracula in a round then Lord Goldalming could potentially be involved in 4 combats, Seward in 3, etc. Seems kind of unfair to allow this.

The only question I have pertains to what happens if Dracula moves into a location with 2 or more hunters and fights them as a group? Must they then remain as a group for their turns this round or can they then split up after already fighting as a group this round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once, but barring extremely rare circumstances, if Hunters need to start their entire Round in the same location to form a group, I don't see how a Group is even a remotely effective strategy.

I don't see when the Hunters would ever know beforehand that Dracula was going to be within one movement of them both, since each time Dracula moves, there is almost always multiple possible locations for him.
The Hunters will normally be required to be split up to adequately cover Dracula's possible moves, and suss him out.

But then again, I don't see how this game works, balance wise, so my confusion as to the effectiveness of Groups is not unique.
The game seems horrendously tipped in Dracula's favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first gae I played seemed to indicate that attacking in a group doesn't offer any offensive advantage at all, and I still think that's the case. I think the purpose of group combat is security for the hunters, especially Mina.

When I played before, I played as Dracula, and I found Mina to be pretty vulenrable at nighttime. If I could catch her alone, a single successful Bite or Mesmerize and she'd be done. But if she's got one of the others with her, it becomes much more risky for Drac, because he can't just take out Mina and move away. Even if he manages to defeat Mina, he still has to escape from the other Hunter.

I see the grouping together as a defensive advantage, not an offensive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.