Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light game to play by the poolside that doesn't get picked up by the wind :-) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xtof Fer
msg tools
Hello fellow boardgame fanatics,

I've been a lurker on these boards for quite some time and i decided it was time to ask for a recommendation myself whistle

We're going on holiday soon and i'm looking for a game to play by the poolside, we need a game that is fairly compact, easy to set up and doesn't get picked up by the wind too easily (this is the most important factor actually).

Outside we usually play Uno cool, which is very doable, or citadels, or anything in the light category.

I'm looking into Hive pocket, settlers pocket edition and love letter. Am I on the right track here or can you recommend me something else?

Thank you in advance bgg!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Hive or Hive pocket are excellent choices. I have Hive pocket, which is nice because it's smaller and has the two expansions (Ladybug & Mosquito). I have no regrets with the smaller game.

Blokus or Blokus Duo could work too, but they're more abstract than strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Evers
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are going in the right direction with Hive.

Hive is a nice portable and durable game. I've never seen or played the pocket version, but the regular version would work quite well I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helm's Deep
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
All the components are made of wood and wouldn't be blown away-other than the scoresheets, but the board you play on is a small block of wood so it would make a good paperweight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm.....

Hive and Can't Stop maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voila http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159691/games-to-play-outsi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you need some dice games, mate! Not all of the highest-rated dice games are super portable, but some certainly are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hive. Qwixx would also work well. I've played both games in windy conditions on a boat with no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa McCain
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Zombie Dice everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Blokus.

The pieces are held to the storage/player board and to the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro should work - the tiles should be pretty wind resistant unless it is *really* windy. Carcassonne too, though the footprint may be a little large...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out IceDice or Treehouse - decent light fillers that attract attention. A bonus is that there are hundreds of Looney Pyramids games you can play with these colorful gaming pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle or any other game with tiles is both portable and playable in the wind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 4th of July I played Love letter by the pool and it went really well. Yes, there are cards, but not a lot. If it's not too windy, it really went perfectly, and it was quick and light so you could disengage quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question about a month ago and got some great recommendations for poolside games.

These have been hits with our family and friends:
Qwixx
Love Letter
Hive
Hanabi

Another dice game that was new to me that I really like is Ra: The Dice Game although it has a lot of little wooden cubes so I haven't tried bringing to the pool yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hive Pocket is really a must!

For a light puzzle-ish dice game that lots of people can play, try Line Dice.

Also, Math Dice for some wonderful Math practice for all ages... you know, the 'Summer-Slide' and all!

Bonus: All of these are waterproof, to boot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Llewellyn

Downers Grove
Illinois
msg tools
Give Logan Stones a look. A 2-player whole that is much more than the sum of its parts for me. Easy to teach, very playable with wide variety of ages/interests and nearly indestructible (same material as the Hives). Enjoy the pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon is the perfect poolside game for two. Easy to set up, challenging, doesn't blow away and is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Packer53 wrote:
Give Logan Stones a look. A 2-player whole that is much more than the sum of its parts for me. Easy to teach, very playable with wide variety of ages/interests and nearly indestructible (same material as the Hives). Enjoy the pool.

Thanks for suggesting this. I had never heard of it and after seeing the designer preview video of how it works, I might just have to get it! We are *huge* fans of Hive (pocket) and would love to have another indestructible travel game like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AttrAction would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is a very good game, but personally, I think that For The Win is a slightly better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Yang
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Party games without implementing the scoring rules(if there is any). Just play and see who wins each round

Beyond Balderdash
Cards Against Humanity
Say Anything
Backseat Drawing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xtof Fer
msg tools
Wow thank you guys, I am amazed by the amount of replies i have received!

So it looks like i'm getting Hive most definitely, didn't think of Blokus but I am now so that will probably end up in my shopping basket too and Roll through the ages together with Love letter.

With Hanabi I think there will be too much cards on the table, Qwixx is just not for me I think.

Thanks for all your suggestions! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't discount Qwixx unless you try it first. I typically like heavier games myself, but we have played Qwixx easily 100 times since mid May. You can try it for free and then decide. It's is a fantastic outdoor/poolside/beach game. Just go to the forums and print out and laminate your own score sheets (office max will laminate for you)and find the dice yourself. You need 2 white, 1 each of red, blue, yellow and green. The game takes 2 minutes to explain and one game lasts around 15 minutes. We often play 2 or 3 times in a row.

To get scoresheets:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87858/qwixx-scoresheet-in-...

To get rules:

http://www.nsv.de/files/u79/SA_Qwixx_RZ_engl.pdf

Oh, the game plays up to 5 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.