Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone wait multiple rounds during Hell before making the kill? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just got the game (the Cobblepot/Fantasy Flight revised edition) and have only played it a few times, so maybe I don't have enough context, but I can't really see much benefit to waiting more than 1 turn in Hell. After that, unless the Detectives are really out of position, won't most Wretched be really close to one or more detectives? What incentives are there for Jack to keep waiting?

Maybe it is just the way I play, in that when I play the detectives, on subsequent rounds, I try to spread my forces as much as possible to "reach" any new potential crime scene as soon as possible after a kill with at least one detective, thus when I play Jack I assume the other players are also spreading their forces. (Though, once they didn't and it only made it that much easier for me on night 3.)

So any thoughts on reasons for Jack to wait for more than one round during Hell?

Maybe if your opponent has a good idea where Jack's hideout is and they are blocking/patrolling that area more than "hunting" Jack, Jack has an incentive to ID all of the real vs. false detective spots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy hammond
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wait b/c if you kill on red you can't place pawn there any other nights, ladies can't be adjacent to police anyway and you can find some deceives. I like to kill well away from hideout and play as many games with police to try and give them no idea what direction hideout is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I understand those elements. I agree that waiting one round is good, and I am arguing is the optimal wait time. I don't think the benefits of waiting additional rounds (ID'ing obvious detectives) outweighs the drawbacks (wretched moving closer to detectives in general).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ometiklan wrote:
I understand those elements. I agree that waiting one round is good, and I am arguing is the optimal wait time. I don't think the benefits of waiting additional rounds (ID'ing obvious detectives) outweighs the drawbacks (wretched moving closer to detectives in general).

Waiting at least one night is usually great. Sometimes I will wait more - it depends on the situation. Building suspense can psych out the investigators, as they wonder why you still haven't acted. Sometimes I will look at a detective I don't care about to give the impression I'm interested in an area of the board. Sometimes the investigators move the wretched to a really good location - so I will delay, forcing them to move the wretched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a house rule where every turn Jack waits and gets to see where more investigators are, the turn counter is reduced by 1 !

Thematically it makes sense, because left as is....waiting is a BIG tactical swing in favour of Jack. Always thought this was a design flaw.

If your Jack player is particularly 'saucey', he can continue to taunt the police and wait the max each night. THAT would = a very skilled Jack !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.