Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so my son is completely enraptured with the idea of the game and has already been coming up with ideas for new characters (of course his favorite movies being Zombieland and Night of the Living dead he is already planning a Survivor along with various superheroes). Now my question is, while you, I, or any other older individual can just use a bit of common sense, play testing, gut instinct from previous experiences, etc. to develop what we think is a relatively balanced character is there any guidelines you would give a 7 year old in order to help them get as closely balanced a character as possible (within reason) out of the gate before the playtest phase.

For example should the stats come to a certain average, do powers affecting different stats have different point values (in terms of effect) based on stat, etc... Basically what basic rules would you suggest they follow that aren't as dependent on previous experience and logic which a 7 year old wouldn't have available?

Thanks for any ideas anyone has. And yes, I plan on helping him, just trying to find a way to possibly lower his frustration a bit as I am sure his first instinct will be to make all their stats 9 because he can . The kid also tends to at times be a bit too smart for his own good .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this with my son in the early days, and found that the important thing is not worry so much about actual calculations (we have a software procedure that calculates values, and will be providing the manual version of that soon).

Instead, just talk about "Cool idea! Now, all the heroes and villains always have weaknesses. What's this guy's weaknesses?" Usually you can pare down some of the overly-enthusiatic scoring that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpitfireIXA wrote:
I did this with my son in the early days, and found that the important thing is not worry so much about actual calculations (we have a software procedure that calculates values, and will be providing the manual version of that soon).

Instead, just talk about "Cool idea! Now, all the heroes nad villains always have weaknesses. What's this guy's weaknesses?" Usually you can pare down some of the overly-enthusiatic scoring that way.

Thanks Brett, and great idea (though I am still looking forward to seeing the manual process to calculate values ). I keep running into my own problem of getting so focused on what I know, that I don't take the time to, like you do, simply turn the question around on them. Not sure if that's the right wording for it, but I think you get the meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.