HexHead Games
msg tools
publisher
Hello all!

My business partner and I are working a new board game. Our ultimate goal is to try our hand at kickstarter to fund a self published run of games.

We've gone through the initial design and play-testing. About 50% of the art finished at this point as well. We'd like to get it in the hands of more people to get some intensive play-testing done. The goal is to have people to try and break it so we can get it as tuned as possible before our kickstarter. Any feedback would be appreciated so we can create the best game possible.

Please post here or PM me if you are interested in trying out our game. You can also do a search for Doubloons (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/140601/doubloons) here on BGG and to take a look at the play test prototype rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HexHead Games
msg tools
publisher
I wanted to get a sample of the art/cards up as well. Any and all feedback is welcome. We can't wait to get started play testing more intensively with people unconnected to the creation of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HexHeadGames wrote:
I wanted to get a sample of the art/cards up as well. Any and all feedback is welcome. We can't wait to get started play testing more intensively with people unconnected to the creation of the game.

I'm reading through the pdf ...

Quick question: Why is the setup a rigorous "go clockwise around the center tile"?

Why not just have players put tiles where they want to place them, and reserving the 4 corners for the start tiles as the last step?

I mention that because the game tile setup takes up 2 pages of the rulebook ... and it seems it could be more "fun" and simpler at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HexHead Games
msg tools
publisher
That's an excellent question. I think we were originally thinking that players could change the orientation of the tiles to give them an advantage.

What you're saying makes total sense though. It in reality probably does not add a lot to the game and just complicates the setup. It really isn't needed at all.

This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those looking for the rules:

Prototype Instructions

The game reminds me of two other games:
Pirates of the Spanish Main
and
Dread Pirate

I think what I need right now is a better understanding of what the tiles and the cards contribute to the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... another suggestion:

There's a TON of counters and markers in the game. And I'm a bit afraid that you'll end up overpricing the game because of it. There's also good reason to reduce the Fiddly-ness of the game.

So, I'd suggest changing the 80 "Looted" markers with 25 Dice. Two sides of each die will have that "X" marks-the-spot. The other 4 sides will have the player colors. Game is setup with a die on each island. When a player loots an island, they turn the die from an X to their color.

And actually, you could put a number on the 6th side of the die (opposite the X). When a player loots an island, they look at that number and take the corresponding loot tokens (instead of drawing a card).

If you use both of those suggestions, you can calculate the maximum number of loot tokens that you need ... which could be less than the 60 you currently have. For example, if you have 25 dice, then:
10 dice have "1"
10 dice have "2"
5 dice have "3"

which means you only need 45 loot tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HexHead Games
msg tools
publisher
That's an interesting thought. I haven't priced out custom dice at all but that would be cheaper to manufacture?

I agree that less fiddly is better.

To your other post, The Tiles are just the playing surface. We went with Tiles rather than a static board so that it would be random every time.

Cards are Loot, Action and Trap. They are the attack, defense and events that happen throughout the game. They allow the players to interact with each other and steal loot back and forth. With some well placed trap cards, or other attacks a pirate can turn the tide of the game in their favor.

PM me an address and I'll send you a copy of the cards and tiles if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HexHeadGames wrote:
That's an interesting thought. I haven't priced out custom dice at all but that would be cheaper to manufacture?

I agree that less fiddly is better.

Not sure about prices, either. Depends on what the markers are made of. Personally, I like the feel of heavier markers; especially if they are placed on tiles. I can live with cardboard/chipboard markers for games with a gameboard ... the "base" is more stable. But for games with tiles like Carcassonne and Catan, there's good reason why those wooden pieces work better.

HexHeadGames wrote:

To your other post, The Tiles are just the playing surface. We went with Tiles rather than a static board so that it would be random every time.

Understood. I wanted to see them so I can get a better idea about how players might want to rotate their placement to their advantage.

HexHeadGames wrote:

Cards are Loot, Action and Trap. They are the attack, defense and events that happen throughout the game. They allow the players to interact with each other and steal loot back and forth. With some well placed trap cards, or other attacks a pirate can turn the tide of the game in their favor.

Understood. Again, I'd like to see how much of that is truly a tactical choice, and how much is just random luck.

Speaking of traps ... going back to the dice idea I suggested, I realized you wanted traps to be part of that looting the island. So, another possible distribution:

9 dice have "1"
7 dice have "2"
5 dice have "3"
3 dice have "trap"

which leads to just 38 loot tokens.

And keep in mind that only 23 of these 25 dice would be used in a 2 player game, so the exact distribution of what's actually in play will change. You might have just 1 trap out there rather than all 3.

Granted, I'm assuming 1 Loot Location per island tile....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HexHead Games
msg tools
publisher
I've sent you the files. We're going to look into the dice for sure. That seems to be a much more elegant solution (depending on costs of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.