Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi MS:

I played this game solitare on more than one occasion and it's fun - I plot the first few turns of the initial Zhodani invasion to give a strategic direction for the Zhodani Forces; after that sparingly plotting. On the Imperial side I react to Zhodani moves accordingly - plotting here sparingly.

When I first played the game, I didn't plot at all and it was great fun. But I was more interested in the RPG value of the game for my Traveller playing group.

Regards, Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a problem. The Imperial player's only victory chance is to catch at least one Zho invasion fleet thrust off guard and smash it, delaying an automatic Zho victory until the Imp reinforcements arrive. This can only be done via surprise moves. Hence the admiral plot restrictions. A FFW solitaire game with total plotting knowledge would be like trying to play rock-paper-scissors by yourself.

If you try playing solitaire you might get the impression the Imperial side doesn't have a chance to stop the Zho wave from pretty easily capturing enough systems for a quick auto victory. With a actual living opponent the fog and surprise factor kicks in. Most of my games have been two player and a few four player. Solitaire is at least one way to learn the rules if not a great game experience.

Regardless of how you play I would strongly suggest that the automatic victory conditions be changed to require the capture of all subsector capitals and that disbanded fleets (counters) be removed from play for at least five turns. The first change makes for a better game, and fits into the Traveller game history better (Siege of Rylanor) and the second fixes a game bug exploit around plotting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of fighting the whole campaign, it might be fun to create some smaller solitaire scenarios and build from there. Which side has the more interesting challenges I wonder?

Maybe random forces enter the map on some mission and you have to plot ahead to deal with them in some manner?

The scenario could be a skirmish in a devised new sector setting also, such is the power of the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else that came to mind is people plot the Zhodani initial assault and upload them to BGG. We combine them and then randomly choose which one is activated and slowly reveal the moves as they happen. Not perfect for sure but it's a start.

I think I saw it done for this game.

Jutland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.