Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a thought on how to fix the fragile issue of the game. What if you could not choose to build a shop until one or both of the Comissioners returned from Central Park. this would prevent the "early Shop placement" that can speed the game to an unsatisfactory conclusion. My only question is should the restriction be lifted after one auction round or after the second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Todd, I've heard stories about this game's fragility, but I've yet to see it happen in a half-dozen plays. Alea usually tests its games extensively, and I'd imagine that a solution exists to early shop placements, possibly by taking the C action, which gives you an extra card and grants you two commissioner movements that turn. If you plop a bunch of skyscrapers next to someone else's businesses, they won't be so eager to end the game anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that early shop palcment is not a good idea but for the many players this is not obvious the first time through. Look at the lukewarm reception the game has gotten on the geek. Several prominent Geeks have panned the game becuase of this weakness. If one or more players go after the shops early on then the game ends quickly leaving a sour taste in the players mouths. I am suggesting a house rule that will prevent first time players from making a mistake that is very easy to fall into. I like the game very much but the first time we played it sure enough two of us were placing shops like crazy. I would rather have a simple house rule to steer first time players to better strategies than have to explain to them why the obvious move is really not the best move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hello, is this thing on, hello

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tyrrell
United States
Melrose
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Here's how my gaming group slows down the grabbing of businesses from the business supply row. We have adopted a house rule that states that a player cannot draw from a section of the supply row if the bonus condition for the previous section has not been reached by at least one player. Therefore, a player cannot draw a business tile from the row after the (>=3) mark until any one player has skyscrapers in 3 or more different districts. Similarly any player must be in least 4 or 5 districts before business tiles can be chosen past the (>=4) or (>=5) marks, respectively.

The player drawing the tile does not have to be the player who has met the # of districts condition; any player can open up the next section of the row for everyone.

This rule is separate from the special scoring of the business supply row. It is possible that no player receives a particular bonus since the previous section can be emptied of businesses before anyone meets the bonus condition. This rule simply prohibits the next section of business tiles from being available until the (>=N) condition is subsequently met by any player.

Using this rule, the four-player game should use the expanded game board, otherwise it might be difficult for one player to break into the fifth district and open up the last section. Alternately, you may want to have Central Park count as a district for this condition only.

We have found that this house rule helps slow down fast moving games and new player mistakes without greatly altering strategy. Try it out and offer your feedback here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a pretty good rule. I will try it this weekend and let you know how it turns out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nomikos
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin:

We always play with the rule as you describe it.
Additionally:
The special scoring is awarded to all players at the time of placing the 3rd, 6th, 9th business. If no player is eligible for this bonus scoring, the bonus is given later to the first player that will achieve this condition.

The rule as you have posted acts like a safeguard against a player that wants to finish the game in 30 minutes.
The additional rule that we use, promotes players to build skyscrapers and leads to more intense games.

5ht Avenue is a great game with these simple additional rules.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
If you plop a bunch of skyscrapers next to someone else's businesses, they won't be so eager to end the game anymore.

Exactly. Only beginners run for the shops but after a few games where the player who concentrates on building skyscrapers wins, they no longer try this strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the off chance anyone is still watching this thread...

Quote:
If you plop a bunch of skyscrapers next to someone else's businesses, they won't be so eager to end the game anymore.

We played this last night and ran into the situation described here; a bad play experience because of the shops coming out fast.

While I can certainly appreciate the value of placing skyscrapers, I'm curious as to how you get to be in a better position to play skyscrapers than the person placing the shops.

Is getting the extra card from taking the C action a big enough advantage to work out over the long run?

Once a player has built a big clump of skyscrapers (say, start with one and then win an auction playing 4s), isn't it still worth it for them to just build as many businesses as possible next to that clump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. I love how fast it is- we finished a game in 10 minutes...
If you know how to play the 'place business action' is to slow down leaders. Oh look! 4 skyscrapers! here - have a duplicate business.
I don't want a slower game....that's why I rate it high. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.