55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Balance of the Force announced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Norman
msg tools
Fantasy Flight just announced the multiplayer Balance of the Force deluxe expansion. Includes multiplayer rules and one versus many scenario decks.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4247
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
IMO the Challenge Decks should have been the baseline mechanic, with each deck trying to accomplish something the other side is attempting to thwart. Instead of just having it be a 3-on-1 mechanic. Much better than the misnamed "Objectives".

That plus Emperor's Hand means I'll probably be checking this out. Maybe 3-vs-1 multiplayer will be something to pull in the players (like me) who weren't sold on the 2-player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Davis
United States
Corona
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a little torn as i am always happy for more star wars but this expansion seems a little late to the party. On the plus side having a 2 or 3 vs 1 theme game seems like a good way to get people in my gaming group into the game who dont like the 1 v 1 aspect now.

Here is a question though are we now going to get separate force packs for multi player and single player? or are the force packs going to be watered down to support both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting, but I hope that you don't need to buy two of this particular box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the sound of the 2-on-2 multiplayer rules, with the bigger dial and play to 5 exploded objectives or dial to 16.

Not sure if I'm as excited for the 3-on-1 challenge deck things. Weird that it sounds like the 1 player is always forced to use this static deck forever and it's kind of weird they would waste an expansion and this many cards (120-ish? of the expansion's 154) on a lesser format, with no way to use those ones in the normal game.

I know at least a few people are really excited for multiplayer though so I'll wait and see how cool it turns out as more rules are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
L0sther0 wrote:
Here is a question though are we now going to get separate force packs for multi player and single player? or are the force packs going to be watered down to support both?
If it's anything like the Game Of Thrones LCG, welcome to waterered-down-Town!
Now Star Wars players can be annoyed when they center an entire series of chapter packs around a play format that you never use (aka multiplayer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been saying I was waiting for Edge of Darkness to fill out all the factions before I decided to give up on this or not. Now I may wait for this one instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited for the new play options for the game. I play the game in tournaments, but outside of that, I don't get many chances to play. Having the ability to play with up to 4 players should allow me to get this to the table more often, and the challenge decks almost make up for the lack of coop play (it's essentially coop play for all but one of the players).

dboeren wrote:
Looks interesting, but I hope that you don't need to buy two of this particular box.

Looks like you will only need one copy. The product description page says all 6 of the objectives that can be used in head-to-head play are limit 1 per deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko M
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally!!!
They added much more than I thought they would. Definitely getting this. Can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go on the mini-site for the expansion then in the card spread at the top of the 'home' page is a MUCH more sinister looking Palpatine! If you click through to the 'about' page then you can see the art in bigger. Kinda how I expected they would do Palpatine originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

From the mini-website for Balance of the Force:

Quote:
A single copy of Balance of the Force contains a complete playset of each new card!

Furthermore:

Quote:
The six affiliations of Star Wars: The Card Game each gain a new objective set from Balance of the Force. These objective sets are each “Limit 1 per objective deck” and introduce powerful new units – or new versions of powerful units already in the game. Additionally, they offer players interesting new options for both multiplayer games and head-to-head matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rennie
United Kingdom
Louth
flag msg tools
mbmb
So if we aren't interested in the multiplayer aspect we won't need this set........... hang on.....we can play cards in this set head to head but only 36 (6 objective sets), out of 156 cards...... sneaky devil ffg knows how we tick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fitz
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope it does not bone the 1v1 card pool but other than that it looks fun. If they are smart they can use the objective set mechanic to balance the multiplayer cards. Mara Jade at least to me looks fantastic in and out of multiplayer so that is nice. That fate card could also be used to target yourself and throw down an extra card after an edge battle is over to make sure you win. As long as they are smart they should be able pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dash Rendar? Oh hell yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really going to open up my gaming group. I have way too many friends who just don't fig the sit around and wait for each 1 vs 1 game to be over so they can play. I also have a bunch of friends who would much rather play a team-based game as opposed to having all the pressure on them.

As far as the static Challenge decks are concerned, as long as they are priced right, I can see myself buying every single one of them. New custom-built adventures for all my buddies to either play as (GM style) or play against in a team-based coop style game. I am so sold.

The only thing I didn't see, although I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, is whether a standard 5-card, 10-objective deck will be "legal" to play against the challenge decks or whether there will be some limiting rules that judge what kind of deck can be considered a multiplayer deck. I am guessing that multiplayer decks will come from whatever cards you want to use from the current pool.

I will bet that some popular 1 vs 1 decks may not work so well against a challenge deck, but I guess we will have to see.

Well, for my group, this is going to be an auto-add-to-cart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

Would be a reason not to buy it at all. Sadly... but in the preview there is at least one sith objective thats limited to one. Maybe they reduce the cards you need with that "mechanic".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sacred Voice wrote:

From the mini-website for Balance of the Force:

Quote:
A single copy of Balance of the Force contains a complete playset of each new card!

What he quoted.

Also, did anyone notice that the Jedi Affiliated cards in those screen shots are Rebel Red and not Brownish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expand your Star Wars: The Card Game universe!

1 dark side challenge deck, Jerjerrod’s Task
1 light side challenge deck, The Hunt for Skywalker
6 new objective sets for play in any format
1 multiplayer Death Star dial

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=200&...

Plenty of info on the FFG website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hundreds wrote:

Also, did anyone notice that the Jedi Affiliated cards in those screen shots are Rebel Red and not Brownish?

All of the cards are Rebel, not Jedi? My guess is they kept the faction of the entire challenge deck the same despite any theme so you don't have to worry at all about resource matching.

This will be a nice set to expand the game a bit. I don't think there will be as big of a divide between 2v2 and 1v1 as there is between Joust and Melee in AGOT, since it seems like almost everything is the same.

Also looking forward to the 1v3. That Death Star suggests they'll be more interesting than just a usual slugfest, which would be nice.

Too bad it's Q4 release. With FFG that means it'll probably come out December 31st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nkimball wrote:

Too bad it's Q4 release. With FFG that means it'll probably come out December 31st...

Well based on the usual 3mo lead on each LCG product this will be an expansion between the two FP cycles. We've been waiting for the announcement of the next cycle, but I guess we'll get it next month now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they do release on Dec 31st, I'll be quite happy. It's original date was Q2 2013

And did I just see a third Darth Vader to put into our decks???

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Moak
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Not so much yes it is a third Vader but if you notice the obj set it is D01 which means it's part of the challenge set making it unable to be put in normal 1v1 or even 2v2 decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I found interesting is that Challenge decks are 59 cards.

So future challenge decks can just come in standard Force Pack sized product, but I'm curious as to the 1 other card. Though it did seem that there's a "art" card as well, unless that's the back of the Challenge deck to differentiate them.

Other interesting note is that the DS2 is double sided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting (hoping?) for plenty of POD challenge decks. This really opens the game up to more casual players like myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nkimball wrote:

All of the cards are Rebel, not Jedi? My guess is they kept the faction of the entire challenge deck the same despite any theme so you don't have to worry at all about resource matching.

Yeah I'm stupid. I thought that was the Jedi symbol. Don't hate!!

One thing my buddy and I were talking about is whether we would be able to customize our challenge decks once we get tired of the vanilla variety for each challenge deck. It would be nice to be able to build new variations using more challenge deck cards, as long as we observe some deck-building set of rules or something.

Hear that FFG?

Also, I was wondering if certain famous units that are challenge-deck only might eventually be re-released as head to head versions as well. I want me some Admiral Piett in my custom decks!

sputang wrote:
I'm expecting (hoping?) for plenty of POD challenge decks. This really opens the game up to more casual players like myself.

I'm totally with you on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.