Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Maschler
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording of this card is problematic. There was discussion of this card in this thread
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/960910/need-clarification-af...
but it was coupled with other questions and has generic thread title.

Two-Face's .22 Semi-Automatic Pistol reads as follows:
"During a fight in a block occupied by Two-Face, add +1 to Two-Face's die roll."

The problematic portion of the language is "in a block occupied by Two-Face." Without that language...

"During a fight in a block occupied by Two-Face, add +1 to Two-Face's die roll."

...it is clear that whenever Two-Face is in a fight his player adds +1 to his die roll.

So what is the purpose of the language? Is it just a bad translation? Occupied is not defined in the Game Glossary section. Presumably it means whenever the Two-Face figure is on a block of the game board. But on page four of the rules under the section "Fights Between Villains" it reads:

"If you move your Villain... to a block occupied by another Villain, you must fight to decide who will stay in the block, and who will flee to their Hideout."

This might be a leap in logic, but that might mean that two villains can not "occupy" a block at the same time. If so, that would mean that Two-Face only gains the benefit of his .22 Semi-Automatic Pistol when he is defending a block he already occupies. He would not gain the benefit when he attacks another villain nor would he gain the benefit when he attacks Batman because the rules also clearly refer to Batman occupying a block.

Some players might think this nerfs Two-Face's ability, and without Paolo coming in and making a ruling, they may be correct. However, I would offer as supporting evidence the fact that each Villain has a defensive oriented card.

Killer Croc has Regenerate which gives him a free move to a block without another Villain in it if he loses a fight.
Penguin has Helicopter Umbrella which allows him to avoid a fight if he so chooses by moving to an unoccupied block. This also prevents the aggressor from placing threat.
Joker has Unpredictable which causes other Villains to spend 1 additional information to move into a block occupied by the Joker.

But Two-Face does not have a defensive card like these unless you read that problematic phrase "in a block occupied by Two-Face" to mean only when Two-Face is defending a block from an aggressor.

As one last piece of supporting evidence for this interpretation look at the Joker's Exploding Cigars ability card. It begins with this wording:

"During any fight..."

The game makers could have used the same wording on Two-Face's .22 Semi-Automatic Pistol if they had intended it to work on every fight involving Two-Face. They did not use that wording though.

If Paolo is still answering rules questions I'd love to see an official ruling. Is this a correct interpretation of the ability or is it entirely too much rules-lawyering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first few sentences, my reaction was "what is this rules lawyer bullshit"? By the end, you won me over. I think you may be on to something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it simply isn't clear, for reasons you explain.

I have played it both ways, going with whatever the other players thought. The games didn't turn on which interpretation we used. So resolve it however you like until there's an official answer. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
We have always played that it is defending only. You don't truly occupy a spot until the end of the turn, thus you have to win a fight in any contested areas.
Also there is no reason to add the phrase 'occupied by' if it meant every fight(since you don't fight without your villain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vazzucious wrote:
We have always played that it is defending only. You don't truly occupy a spot until the end of the turn, thus you have to win a fight in any contested areas.
Also there is no reason to add the phrase 'occupied by' if it meant every fight(since you don't fight without your villain)

After much debate we did that as well. Defense only otherwise it wouldn't say "occupied by"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.