Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Spider Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted this in another thread, but I figured I would give it its own thread to make it more visible. This is our Spiderman variant.

One of his biggest problems is that he gets worse as the game goes on, since you are adding more expensive cards and thinning the starting chaff. (Add to that is that spidey's uncommon doesn't have any recruit or fight)

Instead of his ability triggering on 2 or less, it's 2 + # of bystanders rescued or less.

This change keeps his power level scaling as the game goes on, but you need to work at it some, by rescuing bystanders or getting cards that do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely an intriguing idea. However, paired with another hero which rescues bystanders, it seems like Spider-Man could get too powerful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games we've played so far he seems good but not gamebreaking.

Remember that all it ends up effectively doing is replacing itself with the next card in your deck. Even if you had ten bystanders it only guarantees that you will draw your next card.

Also, the common spidermen only add +1 fight or +1 recruit, the fun comes from chaining them or getting the corner symbols. The uncommon one doesn't even have a fight or recruit, but gives you a bystander. The rare lets you draw three cards in effect, which is pretty good, but the rare of a hero should be good. (It still is not quite as powerful as some other rares.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider the other cards that cost 2...
Elektra: 1 draw + 2 recruit off covert
Wolverine: 1 fight + 1 draw off instinct
Black Widow: 1 draw + rescue a bystander with tech

IMO Spiderman would be fine if half the card effect (draw or other) was keyed to a hero type or something similarly common. I think to keep some of the original flavor you could have the effect trigger off playing a 1 or 2 cost card or, if that is too much, off the Spiderman team symbol. I would prefer to have the draw always happen and then have the other effect require a trigger.

Spiderman's rare seems fine to me, that is a strong effect for 2 recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Gardner
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
One of his biggest problems is that he gets worse as the game goes on, since you are adding more expensive cards and thinning the starting chaff. (Add to that is that spidey's uncommon doesn't have any recruit or fight)

Instead of his ability triggering on 2 or less, it's 2 + # of bystanders rescued or less.

This change keeps his power level scaling as the game goes on, but you need to work at it some, by rescuing bystanders or getting cards that do so.

This is a fantastic idea. Sorry, I know this an old post but I was doing a search on any Spider Man variants and came across this. I had always thought Spider Man was a weak character to play and was looking for any variants to motivate me to add him into a team. Previously I had always wrote him off because of the same reasons described above.

I'll definitely give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tzgardner wrote:
Quote:

This is a fantastic idea. Sorry, I know this an old post but I was doing a search on any Spider Man variants and came across this. I had always thought Spider Man was a weak character to play and was looking for any variants to motivate me to add him into a team. Previously I had always wrote him off because of the same reasons described above.

4 years and a lot of expansions later he is good as is, as long as he is paired with a few other cheap heroes... In fact you can build a whole 2 cost spider hero team now and it gets crazy drawing your whole deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tzgardner wrote:
Quote:

I think this and pairing him with any hero who can also rescue bystanders would make him much more powerful, he could draw ANY card...

And as said here before we now have lots (too lots?) of spiders around to put that 2 engine working, and who my gods it works indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.