J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't yet red it, The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks is a good introduction to his Culture series. That book is about a board game that is the basis for an entire empire and a member of the Culture who is an expert game player that learns to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I enjoy the books that are set in the FFG Android universe. I'm anxiously awaiting the last book in "The Identity Trilogy". Freefall was pretty good.

The FFG books in the Arkham Horror universe are pretty entertaining.

The other FFG universe books aren't all that good in my opinion. I've read some of them, but it might be because I haven't played the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of books in the 40k universe that are worth a read. I really enjoy the Ciaphas Cain books by Sandy Mitchell and pretty much anything by Dan Abnett.

I seem to remember enjoying Interstellar Pig as a kid too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
Franchise fiction tends to be pretty poor, so your odds are slim.

I would, however, recommend the Warhammer novel 'Drachenfels', by Jack Yeovil (actually a pseudonym for well-known SF and horror writer/reviewer/academic Kim Newman). It's played mainly for laughs (albeit rather black-humoured ones), and owes mercifully little to the wider Warhammer universe of Tolkien and Moorcock plagiarism.

Edit: Banks's 'The Player of Games' is indeed wonderful; it's a novel every gamer should read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read it yet, but the Settlers of Catan novel has apparently been available in English for a little while now (but I only found out about it this summer): http://www.amazon.com/The-Settlers-Catan-Rebecca-Gable/dp/16...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore Kim Newman's work, but haven't read his Jack Yeovil stuff. Chances are if any are good, those will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
The Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy series isn't that bad. It's blatantly escapist and thankfully doesn't pretend to be anything else. I typically loathe franchise fiction, so if I DO end up reading some, it had better be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh has a board game based on it, calledThe Company War. The book came before the game, so I am not sure it fits your criteria.

Downbelow Station won the Hugo Award in 1982 (back when that carried more weight), so apparently it was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh has a board game based on it, calledThe Company War. The book came before the game, so I am not sure it fits your criteria.

Downbelow Station won the Hugo Award in 1982 (back when that carried more weight), so apparently it was pretty good.

True... and IMO, Cyteen is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
sirius23 wrote:
Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh has a board game based on it, called The Company War. The book came before the game, so I am not sure it fits your criteria.

True... and IMO, Cyteen is even better.

I read Cyteen in hardback when it first came out, and the week it took to work my way through both thick volumes is time I will never get back. The story was good, but could have been told in a quarter of the wordage. Just my opinion, and I like nearly everything C. J. Cherryh has written, including Downbelow Station.

Anyway, back to the original subject. Back in 2010 I started a Geeklist about novels that feature games, whether the game was integral to the plot or simply featured in the story. It was called Books Which Include Games. It might not be what you are looking for, but there are some good (and not-so-good) suggestions that might fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we open it up to RPGs I have enjoyed quite a few of the BattleTech books. I really enjoy the ones by Michael Stackpole, but most of the other authors are good too.

I enjoyed the first three Dark Heresy books and then one or two of the next 6, but it is my only foray into anything Games Workshop related. I do not play the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 40K universe but avoided the novels assuming they'd be complete hokum. After seeing loads of recommendation for Dan Abnet's Eisenhorn trilogy I finally thought I'd give a 40K book a chance and read it - I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.