P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Lulu coupon code SOCIUS at checkout, you can save 20% on The Decktet Book. The discount should be good for print or electronic copies (or for the update, if you have the old edition of the book).

Link to the book page at Decktet.com

The offer ends at midnight on Friday, July 19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks
I needed to buy this soon as my decks should be arriving later this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Just bought my copy on Thursday Wednesday. Oh well. From what I've heard about the system (2 decks and a set of chips will also be arriving shortly), I should be completely satisfied with my full-price purchase.

[Edit: Temporal recalibration. See strikethrough]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Cortes
Germany
Munich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! Got the pdf some weeks ago, but decided to get the book too. Good timing :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you tell me. I just bought a copy last week. Oh well, maybe next time; I'm sure it won't be the last.

Do you know what is the average time it takes to print a copy of the book (or for that matter, a double deck)? I'm not trying to be impatient, just want to know what I should prepare myself for. 2 weeks, 4...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
Now you tell me. I just bought a copy last week. Oh well, maybe next time; I'm sure it won't be the last.

Do you know what is the average time it takes to print a copy of the book (or for that matter, a double deck)? I'm not trying to be impatient, just want to know what I should prepare myself for. 2 weeks, 4...?

I ordered my book on 7/10, and it shipped from Lulu on 7/12. I assume it either prints very quickly, or they happen to have a small stack ready to roll. In either case, I doubt you'll be waiting long.

As for the decks/chips, I ordered those on 7/10 as well, and still no word on their status. According to the site, processing/production should be less than 10 days, so we'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cool, thanks. Actually, I got an email saying that my book had shipped that same day. And just today I got it under my welcome mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update:

I ordered my book from Lulu on 7/10; it shipped on 7/12 and arrived on 7/17. [I've read the first and third sections so far, and it is pretty fascinating. The divination section in particular is intriguing. I will say that the book seems to assume that you have at least a fundamental background in traditional card games, as it freely uses terms like "tricks"/"Trick taking" and "trumps" without really explaining what these things are. But if you find yourself in the dark, a quick trip to the BGG wiki will have you up to speed in no time (Like this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Trick_taking#).]

I ordered a double-deck set of cards and a 144-chip set from The Game Crafters also on 7/10. I was notified today (7/18) that the order has shipped, and I should receive it no later than Monday (7/22).

So the turn-around times are actually quite good. I'm definitely excited to dive in once my decks arrive.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
I will say that the book seems to assume that you have at least a fundamental background in traditional card games, as it freely uses terms like "tricks"/"Trick taking" and "trumps" without really explaining what these things are.

I really hadn't thought about it, but maybe there should have been a section on concepts from traditional card games which also apply to the Decktet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be handy to people who aren't terribly well versed in traditional card games. I grew up playing plenty of them, but they were all taught to me informally and never used the terminology. After reading through the first section of your book, I had to look up trick-taking, only to discover I'd played several of the referenced games before.

That said, anyone with an internet connection and a few minutes can easily fill in any unintentional blanks in the book. And anyone without an internet connection is probably unlikely to know about the book in the first place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.