Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect Wizard Kings would be the best bet with its easy to learn rules. I still want the game to have some depth so no War of 1812 (too simple).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No question: Hammer of the Scots. Wiz Kings may be a bit dry the first few times; our last game certainly was and I'm a huge WK (and CG) fan. OR CRex, as she prefers. Or Napoleon, which might be too simple for you. Otherwise, it's HotS in a landslide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidPD wrote:
I suspect Wizard Kings would be the best bet with its easy to learn rules. I still want the game to have some depth so no War of 1812 (too simple).

Interesting perspective. I personally think 1812 provides more interesting choices than Wizard Kings does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your first instinct (Wizard Kings) is right, as long as she likes the fantasy theme. Great game. I play it occasionally with my 16-year-old daughter who likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also found Hammer of the Scots to be successfull in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hammer of the Scots or Wizard Kings, although with WK, be prepared to put in some effort to find scenarios or make your own, as the one that comes with the game isn't all that great. Liberty might also be an option, the rules are somewhat similar to HoTS. Speaking as a wife, I've also enjoyed Rommel in the Desert and EastFront, but they are probably not a good idea for an introduction to block games. War of 1812 is actually a nice game, if a bit smaller than some of the others. I would say avoid Pacific Victory or Napoleon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
No question: Hammer of the Scots.

When I first tried HotS with my wife, and she was strongly turned off by the rule where a fickle noble automatically switches sides if his home territory is occupied by enemy forces when he come home for the winter, even though those occupying forces almost never stay over (unless it's Edward I with some infantry or something). Now we play using a house rule where we fight a battle between the returning noble and any occupying enemy force(s) to determine the noble's allegiance.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for the best introduction game try Hammer of the Scots, Napoleon, or Wizard Kings.

Hammer of the Scots may offer the right depth while still being easy to learn. It may have too many rules based on the scenerios and turns but I like that aspect of the game. I like that the nobles switch sides and the date of each turn can change things in the battle based of history. My husband doesn't like playing this game anymore. The unbalanced of the armies can be a little extreme. The rules aren't long and over bearing at all. It's about four pages or so.

Napoleon is a great beginners game because of the simplicity of the rules. It was my first block wargame. Once you learn one block game, the rest become second nature regardless of the increasing complexity of the rules. This game may be lacking in depth.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1662

Wizard Kings is a great game but I wouldn't call it the best gateway block game. I think it has a lot to offer as a game. By far, it is my favorite! It is easily learned, similar to the difficulty level of HotS. My favorite way to play this game is each player decide on a 100 point army and map.

There are pros and cons for each game. Good Luck with your choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots would be my pick. It's very simple, and few of the units ever 'die', so it's not too confrontational either. A good first block game.

Or if you have one of those ASL-playing hardcore wargamer wives that are all the rage now, Rommel in the Desert will revitalise your marriage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think crusader rex is more straightforward. i also like hammer a lot, but i think crusader is GREAT.

with hammer there's the noble flipping/board resetting factor. the scots are 'easier to play' rules-wise, but the hit-and-run and such tactics are not obvious. the british are easier to play strategically, but they have more fiddly rules regarding wintering and blocks. you'll have more up-front rules with crusader rex, but i think overall it's more intuitive. saracens should be easier to understand because they don't have the bits about the various reinforcement arrival, turcopoles, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Or if you have one of those ASL-playing hardcore wargamer wives that are all the rage now, Rommel in the Desert will revitalise your marriage.

Needed to be quoted....

HotS, CR, or Wizard Kings (if you know what your doing and she can dig fantasy (games)). Whatever theme will interest her most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You might want to rent/view the Mel Gibson movie Braveheart before playing HotS. Though NOT historically accruate it WILL give some insight into the characters and era (and Mel is always easy to look at).

Pick up the Viksyn (red) set of blocks for Wizard Kings depicting Amazon Women. The 'Gaurdian' character kinda sorta looks like Xena Warrior Princess.

I'm not suggesting that your wife needs the female influence or representation to play a game, it just might help to introduce her to the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pick up the Viksyn (red) set of blocks for Wizard Kings depicting Amazon Women. The 'Gaurdian' character kinda sorta looks like Xena Warrior Princess.

I'm not suggesting that your wife needs the female influence or representation to play a game, it just might help to introduce her to the genre.

I agree with Jody. I don't play without my Viksyn army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm back. It is interesting that no one mentioned the time required to play the suggested games. I believe all but WK take about 2 hours + to play -that may be asking a little too much for an "introduction" to block games. From what I have read about WK, the scenario-driven system allows for flexibility regarding game length. Although there are arguably "better" block games to start with, somehow WK seems to be most suitable at this time. Thank you for your input.

Cheers

PS Sphere - The War of 1812 comment was only my impression from reading the game specific forums and as such maybe premature as I haven't had a chance to play it. Please take my perspective with a couple grains of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of these block games has the most replayability? It looks like Wizard Kings has a lot of fan support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.