8 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hero-centric play variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ody Bgg
msg tools
Hello everyone.

I just found this forum a couple of days ago when I googled a query to clarify a rule (Vertigo's card). This is an excellent forum and I have been perusing the various mods.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything like this, but we have occasionally been using a variant in which each player basically plays a certain single hero (aided by allies) rather than the game rules which plays with less distinction, perhaps like a scriptwriter's point of view. The hero-centric variant, which we have called Marvel Team-Up (after the Marvel title), is especially appealing to players who have strong character favorites (including the pre-teen demographic).

In any case, here it is. There are some references to other rules variants that we have been using. We have only really tried this with 2 and 3 player games (in fact, some of us find 4-5 player games of either the Team-Up or regular rules to be fairly tedious, so we take turns between Legendary and other activities when there are larger groups).

A. Marvel Team Up
1. This variant was created to give players more of a character-centric feel. The player is using one superhero with some allies to help them get through tough circumstances.
2. Note: This variant generally is difficult at the beginning and then gets easier due to the solo hero decks. To compensate, you should use this in conjunction with a variant that adds difficulty later. Mastermind Takes Initiative variant works well to balance this. Alternatively put into play a Challenge Mode after the first Mastermind Tactic is defeated such as: Enraged Mastermind, Gimpy Hand, Army of Evil +2, Plots upon Plots, Pain upon Pain, or Hell on Earth)
3. Villain Deck: Fill the 4 right City spaces with random villains (not Master Strikes, Twists, or Bystanders). Place a Twist on The Bridge.
4. Hero Decks: Instead of a single deck, there are multiple decks.
a. Place a stack of SHIELD Agents in the HQ.
b. Place a stack of SHIELD Troopers in the HQ.
c. Each player selects a superhero and builds a 6 card personal Hero Deck composed of:
• one of each type of common cards of a single superhero
• one Wound (only if the superhero has common cards that specifically negates the Mastermind or the Scheme effects)
• some combination of SHIELD Agents and Troopers to bring the total to 6.
• Shuffle the remaining cards for that superhero, and place your personal Hero Deck in the HQ and flip the top card.
d. Ally Deck: Each player picks up to 6 common cards of non-selected superheroes, shuffle. Fill the remaining HQ spaces (there are a total of 6 HQ spaces for this variant) with cards from the top of the Ally Deck. Place the deck in the Hero Deck board space.
e. Schemes
• If Scheme instructions require the addition of cards to the Hero deck, divide them evenly between personal Hero Decks and the Ally Deck.
• If Scheme instructions require hero cards go into the Villain Deck, players decide their contribution (at least two cards from personal Hero Decks) and the remainder comes from the Ally Deck. All picks are made randomly.
5. At the start of the game, play the Twist that is on the Bridge.
6. Game Play
a. Ally Phase: After the Villain Phase, there is an Ally Phase.
• Prior to playing any cards, a player may opt to use a face up Ally and discard a card from his hand of equal or greater recruitment cost. After playing the Ally card, reshuffle it into the Ally Deck and flip over a card to place in the vacant HQ space.
• Two players may agree to help each other, temporarily swapping a card each. After playing the swapped card, return it to the owning player’s discard stack. Note that the other player can’t play the card until his turn, but may use card effects to protect against other effects that may come up before then.
b. If a villain captures a hero, you may either choose the revealed card from your personal Hero Deck, or one of the Ally heroes in the HQ.
c. If you gain an Ally hero by defeating a villain, you may play it immediately. Reshuffle it back into the Ally Deck.
d. Recruiting: You may recruit up to 1 hero total each turn. This hero may come from your personal Hero Deck or a SHIELD Deck (Agent, Trooper, or Officer).

Any feedback will be most welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ody Bgg
msg tools
By the way, here is the Mastermind Takes Initiative variant. It works well with Team-Up as well as regular rules when using weaker Masterminds + Scheme + Villain combinations (or with non-random specialized hero combination).

B. Mastermind Takes Initiative
1. This variant was created to make the ending of certain games more challenging. Some Mastermind + Scheme + Villain + Hero combinations are challenging without modification, but others are often easy to win.
2. After the 1st Tactic is defeated:
a. Plots upon Plots and Hell and Pain upon Pain go into effect
3. After the 2nd Tactic is defeated:
a. Place the 3rd Tactic under the right-most villain in The City. The Mastermind is considered to be directing that villain. If no villain is in The City, play the top card in the Villain Deck, play its effect; continue to do so until a villain is placed in The Sewers.
b. The directed villain gains +1 fighting strength per remaining Tactic.
c. To attack a directing Mastermind (i.e., defeating the Tactic), you must first defeat the villain it is directing. If the directed villain is defeated, but the Tactic is not defeated, then you take a Wound and another villain is placed on the Tactic (place the nearest villain in the City or the top card of the Villain Deck). If a Tactic escapes, play a Master Strike and put the Tactic under the right-most villain. If no villain is in The City, play the top card in the Villain Deck, play its effect; continue to do so until a villain is placed in The Sewers.
d. Whenever the directed villain and the directing Mastermind (Tactic) moves to another space, each player either KOs a non-gray hero or discards 3 non-gray cards.
e. This occurs through the rest of the game.
f. The next Master Strike is from the Villain Bag of Tricks.
4. After the 3rd Tactic is defeated:
a. Place the 4th Tactic under the right-most villain in The City as above.
b. Hell on Earth goes into effect.
c. The next Master Strike is from the Villain Bag of Tricks.

Again, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ody Bgg
msg tools
Sorry for the deluge of posts.
Just a quick note, we have not used Team-Up the following Schemes because we didn't want to think of specific sub-rules for them:
Detonate the Helicarrier
Save Humanity
Secret Invation of the Skrull Shapeshifters
Super Hero Civil War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a great idea. I have always had a problem with this game it not really feeling like a super hero game. Not being able to control a single hero was a major misstep on the part of the designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsaver wrote:
This is actually a great idea. I have always had a problem with this game it not really feeling like a super hero game. Not being able to control a single hero was a major misstep on the part of the designers.

It's not a misstep so much as people are expecting something the game is not meant to be. This is a game all about the team-up, which is something Marvel has a long history of. There are other games where the goal is to be a single hero, it just so happens the designers did not make this game that way. This is a great game, and, to me at least, it does feel like a super hero game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing a game like this has going for it is it's theming. Splitting things up to have one player control Spider-Man's Spider Sense and another controlling his web shooters is a little strange. That kind of thing does a lot to take me out of the story and care more about the mechanics than the experience.

Of course, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsaver wrote:
The best thing a game like this has going for it is it's theming. Splitting things up to have one player control Spider-Man's Spider Sense and another controlling his web shooters is a little strange. That kind of thing does a lot to take me out of the story and care more about the mechanics than the experience.

Of course, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Easy mind-fix for this problem in my opinion is actually understanding the theme of the game: Each player can be considered a subdivision of S.H.I.E.L.D. that works together with others to take down a mastermind villain. There are some super heroes available on the spot that can help out and by devising a strategy (recruiting hero cards into the deck) you can face the challenge (most of the time, they are super-heroes after all).

This game is NOT about playing a super-hero to go around the city and bash in some skulls. If you want that, there are other options out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istaran Majin
msg tools
I've been thinking of something somewhat similar but less extreme. Each numbered rule below could conceivably be used on its own, but my thought is to use them together.

0 - Cooperative - Use these rules without tracking points, as a simple win/lose cooperative game. Thus it's not a big problem if the game is less "fair" between the players.

1 - Quickstart - Each player picks one of the Heroes in this game and gets two of each common card to start with. Players should each chose a different hero, but if two players can't agree and both want the same hero they can have it. (There will be less of that hero to go around of course, so it probably won't work out well.) At the start of the first player's turn, play two additional villain deck cards. On the first player's first turn, shuffle back any non-Villain cards instead of playing them.

2 - Aiding another - Putting out big damage number implicitly help the team, but this adds a few more options to help your teammates out. If a card effect requires each player to reveal an "x" card or suffer some consequence, you can reveal 2 "x" cards to cover another player. This does not include the card you reveal to cover yourself. So at 1 matching card you can cover yourself, at 2 you can cover any one player (yourself, or heroically cover another player), at 3 you can cover yourself and someone else, etc. In addition, when you buy a card you can put it in another player's discard pile with their permission. So if an 8 cost comes out that would be perfect for someone else's deck, Thor can buy it for them to help them out.

3 - Villainous tag-team - (I feel like calling this the Batman rule because it seems common to many of the batman movies)
At game start pick two masterminds and two schemes. Whenever a scheme twist comes up, after resolving it per the first scheme, resolve it as a master strike for the second mastermind. Whenever a master strike comes up, after resolving it per the first mastermind, resolve it as a scheme twist for the second scheme. If there are no villains, bystanders go to the primary mastermind unless he is already beaten.

You can attack the masterminds in any order. When one is beaten a fourth time, his scheme twist and master strike effects no longer apply, and evil cannot win based on his scheme. (The other scheme and mastermind is still in play. And some of the other effects of the scheme may still be in effect, like +1s from dark portals, holes in the helocarrier, or killbots or heroes in the villain deck.)

Use common sense when picking - the second scheme cannot be impossible for evil to win with only 5 scheme twist (aka no power of the cube or dark portals. It's okay if it's unlikely for evil to win with only 5 scheme twists though) and make sure that cards aren't being re-interpreted in ambiguous ways or need to be placed in two different places. (like if multiple scheme twists try to shuffle heroes into the deck, you can only do it if they are different heroes and even then it might be too confusing to be worth it)
For setup, try to follow both scheme's rules as much as mutually viable. Primary scheme wins conflicts, though as above if it makes it stupid pick a different second scheme. For example, use the primary scheme's number of scheme twists, not the secondary scheme's.

------
I'm hoping to give these a try tomorrow, let you know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.