Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Mueller
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had this come up tonight:

Opponent played Swindler, card that was revealed on top,of my deck was Spoils. The cost of Spoils is 0*.

Of course, opponent wanted to replace with Curse.

So, my question is:

Does 0*=0 ?

Didn't see the answer in the printed rules or on the Google.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. 0*=0. The * indicates it cannot be bought.

0* costs were first seen in Cornucopia, so you can read up on them there.

From the Cornucopia Rulebook (p.4, Additional Rules):

"Prizes cannot be bought, but have a cost of , which matters for cards like Remake."

From the Secret History:

"They need a cost because some cards care about card costs. There are various arguments for why they should have what cost, but I think a crucial one in favor of $0* is, that it makes it extra clear that you cannot actually buy them. I also like that you don't think, "oh man the correct play is to Remodel my prize." "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormcow wrote:

This is generally true except for Peddler. It costs 8* and can be bought. To make it more relevant to the original post, Peddler, with its cost of 8* costs 8 for Swindler, so if the Peddler pile is empty you'll get your Peddler swindled to Province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m_knox wrote:
Stormcow wrote:

This is generally true except for Peddler.

So the general rule is that a "*" sign by a card cost (or a "+" sign in Guilds) is an indicator that there is something special to consider when buying that card. Outside of the Buy phase, those symbols mean nothing and you only consider the number on the cost.

(Also, some of these cards can be gained through actions like Remodel, and other ones can only be gained in a special way. In that case, what matters is whether or not the card is "in the supply". You could argue that the "0*" helps to indicate that, but I'd say that causes confusion and you should just remember what is not in the supply.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mueller
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great, thanks for all the clarification.

Makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you can gain a Spoils thanks to a "gain a card costing up to X" kind of card effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
So you can gain a Spoils thanks to a "gain a card costing up to X" kind of card effect?

No. When you are told to gain a card, you gain it from the Supply unless told to gain it from somewhere else. Spoils is not in the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
beri2 wrote:

Not usually. Spoils are not part of the supply, and you typically gain a card from the supply. So you would not be able to gain Spoils with most cards like Workshop, Ironworks, etc.

If there was a card that let you "gain a card costing up to X from the trash", you could use that to gain a Spoils if one was in the trash. But I believe the only cards that allow you to gain something from the trash right now is Graverobber and Rogue, and those are both restricted to cards that cost 3 to 6, so they would be unable to gain a Spoils from the trash.

In short, the only way to gain a Spoils is with Marauder, Bandit Camp, or Pillage (or have one passed to you with Masquerade, but that is different from gaining).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
In short, the only way to gain a Spoils is with Marauder, Bandit Camp, or Pillage (or have one passed to you with Masquerade, but that is different from gaining).

You can also gain a Spoils with Thief, but I don't think there are any other published Kingdom cards that let you gain a Spoils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.