Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

The Great Zimbabwe» Forums » General

Subject: The winner god (poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
In all the games you have played which god have you seen win the most games, or which god gives you, in your opinion, the best chances of winning? I know it depends on lots of factors, but I am just curious to see which gods people think are the best to win with.

So far, I have played it 3 times and every time a different god won. Shadipinyi (god of drunks), Xango (lord of drummers) and Eshu (god of connections).

Poll
Your favorite god.
Xango VR-2
Qamata VR+2
Dziva VR+2
Tsui-Goab VR+3
Elegue VR+4
Gu VR+4
Shadipinyi VR+4
Eshu VR+4
Engai VR+5
Anansi VR+5
Atete VR+5
Obatala VR+7
      58 answers
Poll created by burrie



Oh, to help out a bit (not expecting you to remember all these names).

Xango: No special benefits (you do win ties at the end of the game)
Qamata: When using hubs you pay this god
Dziva: You may raise and lower prices for craftsman on your turn
Tsui-Goab: You can upgrade monuments with any combination of goods
Elegua: When you bid up to 3 cattle can come from the common stock
Gu: Every craftsman is only VR+1
Shadipinyi: Take the first cattle in each round during bidding
Eshu: Transportation range is 6
Engai: 2 extra cattle per turn
Anansi: Pay only 1 cattle per good
Atete: May use each resource twice
Obatala: May build two monuments instead of one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting poll. For us it's been Atete so much that I remove him before shuffling.

Shadi is also very nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
eekamouse wrote:
Interesting poll. For us it's been Atete so much that I remove him before shuffling.

Shadi is also very nice.


How many times have you played this game? I really liked the Eshu god (transportation of 6). Never having to worry about distance really and hardly ever have to use a hub.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Interesting poll. For us it's been Atete so much that I remove him before shuffling.

Shadi is also very nice.


How many times have you played this game? I really liked the Eshu god (transportation of 6). Never having to worry about distance really and hardly ever have to use a hub.


Just six or seven times. Honestly, don't think I've seen anyone abuse that one. Could definitely see it though. That's one of the pluses is the games can play it so differently. I've seen a couple of games end in 45 minutes, and other stretch to about 2 hours depending on the cards dealt and how aggressive people are about pricing resources etc..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've abused Eshu with my group. I think I am 5-1 when taking Eshu. I wrote some notes in my logged plays if you're interested in my thoughts on what makes Eshu a force.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Eshu. To me this game feels like a bizarro world pickup and deliver train game and Eshu is an engine upgrade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the true winning God is...the Herd
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty even for me, although I find that Tsui-Goab is very powerful when everyone's a newbie - Engai being a close second.

With a bit more experience I find that Gu is always in the running as well as Elegua and Shadipinyi. Then again, I really like Obatala.

I have yet to be able to win with Eshu... Although, since I'm the most experienced player in my group (I've played over twenty times), I tend to choose gods I haven't yet won with, regardless of what's on the board or what the others take (evens things out - I also insist on being first player, so as to place my starting monument last and then passing at the auction so I can be last to play).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Obatala.
Played something like 5 times so far, but with a lot of different configuration (2 to 5 players), and always with at least one beginner, so i would say it could change.

Obatala seems very powerful when the prices are high, because you drop a lot of monuments, then raise all of them, not very high.

But this game is very deep, and I would probably change my mind in a near future (however, the VR +7 on this one prove that the splotter team also find it very powerful).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toooooof wrote:
I chose Obatala.
Played something like 5 times so far, but with a lot of different configuration (2 to 5 players), and always with at least one beginner, so i would say it could change.

Obatala seems very powerful when the prices are high, because you drop a lot of monuments, then raise all of them, not very high.

But this game is very deep, and I would probably change my mind in a near future (however, the VR +7 on this one prove that the splotter team also find it very powerful).


Ah yes! I saw one player absolutely wreck with this one in a 3p game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
eekamouse wrote:
Interesting poll. For us it's been Atete so much that I remove him before shuffling.

Shadi is also very nice.


It's funny you take Atete out but from the 14 votes so far Atete only got 2 votes. It's a good sign many different gods get picked by the users.

Hope we can at least get another 10-15 votes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Interesting poll. For us it's been Atete so much that I remove him before shuffling.

Shadi is also very nice.


It's funny you take Atete out but from the 14 votes so far Atete only got 2 votes. It's a good sign many different gods get picked by the users.

Hope we can at least get another 10-15 votes.


Ya. We had group think about one of the god's early on. I don't remember which one, but it was beaten after the first couple of games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting thread.
Last night I played the game for the first time. As did my group.
And one of our outspoken ones declared Qamata unbalanced, because he would net a whole lot of money due to necessity of using hubs.

Now, I know that this is not the case, and that there have to be counter-strategies out there. However, being a noob myself, and not being that good at math, I cannot explain away such thoughts. Why this and that is overpowered, and those underpowered. Stuff like that.
It's hard to discuss things like these with guys like this, since they claim they have totally understood the game, and all that it entails.

But still, even if I cannot argue non-overpowered-ness, I can always think of (and relate to) this thread - meaning that others thought different gods were overpowered. Which underlines my thinking that Splotter never would produce a game if it were unbalanced that heavily, and there were no counterstrategies...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
This is a very interesting thread.
Last night I played the game for the first time. As did my group.
And one of our outspoken ones declared Qamata unbalanced, because he would net a whole lot of money due to necessity of using hubs.

Now, I know that this is not the case, and that there have to be counter-strategies out there. However, being a noob myself, and not being that good at math, I cannot explain away such thoughts. Why this and that is overpowered, and those underpowered. Stuff like that.
It's hard to discuss things like these with guys like this, since they claim they have totally understood the game, and all that it entails.

But still, even if I cannot argue non-overpowered-ness, I can always think of (and relate to) this thread - meaning that others thought different gods were overpowered. Which underlines my thinking that Splotter never would produce a game if it were unbalanced that heavily, and there were no counterstrategies...


Qamata is good example : in a 2p or 3p game, this god seams weak. In a 4+p game, it seems very good (but not overpowered).

But your conclusion seems fair : Splotter never would produce a game if it were unbalanced that heavily, and there were no counterstrategies
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5p game, and he was raking in the money...


So I would really be interested in some answers as to counteractions against the gods. Maybe in another thread, as it would derail this one? Could someone give me some pointers? It's not like I want to forego learning the game, but that I have some ammunition to throw at people who once again claim this or that card is highly unbalanced...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reduce the necessity of using hubs: build craftsmen close to short monuments, every now and then lay a new monument down next to craftsmen and lay down some water tiles to extend the rivers and lakes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Jesse Custer wrote:
Reduce the necessity of using hubs: build craftsmen close to short monuments, every now and then lay a new monument down next to craftsmen and lay down some water tiles to extend the rivers and lakes.


Sure, but then take the specialist that let's you build monuments around other player's monuments and force them to hub... Never tried it, but it could be an option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:
Reduce the necessity of using hubs: build craftsmen close to short monuments, every now and then lay a new monument down next to craftsmen and lay down some water tiles to extend the rivers and lakes.


Sure, but then take the specialist that let's you build monuments around other player's monuments and force them to hub... Never tried it, but it could be an option.


That would only work with Obatala (sp?) as you would run out if time laying one new monument after the other trying to block one, single monument.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
Lille
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse Custer wrote:
burrie wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:
Reduce the necessity of using hubs: build craftsmen close to short monuments, every now and then lay a new monument down next to craftsmen and lay down some water tiles to extend the rivers and lakes.


Sure, but then take the specialist that let's you build monuments around other player's monuments and force them to hub... Never tried it, but it could be an option.


That would only work with Obatala (sp?) as you would run out if time laying one new monument after the other trying to block one, single monument.


Exactly. A game runs in about 5 to 8 turns I think. Far too short to surround a place without obatala, just to force 1 monument to use 2 or 3 times a hub.

Eshu (transport range : 6) might be a good counter strategy against Qamata.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be fun to revive this thread with the new printing on shelves now (for the next little while at least!)

Of the 5 games I've played so far, the winners have used:

2p - Engai
2p - Tsui Goab
4p - Shadipinyi
5p - Tsui Goab
3p - Tsui Goab

All these games were played with fairly inexperienced players. I can see how Tsui is definitely counter-able, but thus far, it's been the powerhouse god for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
flag msg tools
PM me your type of "Soul Food"!
badge
mhhh...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. I played a lot on boardgamecore.net and hereinafter I show my results:

2 Player:
Xango: 8x
Engai: 7x
Anansi: 5x
Tsui: 4x
Shadipinyi, Eshu and Gu: 2x
Atete: 1x
No god: 1x ()

3 Player:
Tsui and Xango: 7x
Shadipinyi: 5x
Eshu: 1x

4 Player:
Dziva, Shadipinyi, Tsui, Obatala, Atete, Engai, Eshu, Xango, No god: 1x
(that's really impressive!!)

5 Player:
Tsui: 1x

(Maybe I jumped over a game or two but more or less that are the results)

Personally, I really like Xango. At the beginning I thought "meh, 2 VR, what's all that about.." but it's really powerful!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.