Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Which is the most intense 2 player ONLY game you ever had and how did it turn out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Lets share some anecdotes guys haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma and Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation always guarantee a tense session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
My boyfriend and I played a very memorable game of Summoner Wars: Master Set not so long ago that, were it any more heated, could have ended in homicide.

It was the most unpredictable game we've ever played; at one turn it looked sure that I would win, and then him, and then myself, and so on. We are both equally matched strategy-wise but truly the dice gods smile upon him. So enraged was I as he struck down my last champion with one hit that I insisted we both roll with a dice app from thereon. Things looked up after that and when all our common and champion units had been spent and only our summoners were left to battle it out themselves victory was mine at last! devil

Edited to fix typo and add link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll allways remember that tense Star Wars Customizable Card Game game I have in the regional qualifiers of the sanctioned tournament by Decipher.

My strategy was unused before and based on trapping the opponent by bluffing he has won bigtime. (Which he had not!)
I had (seemingly) weak characters on the table, and cheap version of high powered rare cards. I said I had no money to buy the big ones. But in fact I needed those low powered cards to spring a trap made out of combo cards. And the opponents fell for it! It was instant win for me, every time.

It was VERY intense. Sweat everywhere

But this trick could only be used in one tournament. Opponents learn fast

I made it into the semi-finals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Antike Duellum lately for the first time... then 4 more sessions followed and each one was very tense. I don't see a reason why it won't continue like this.

Court of the Medici is tense in every game.

I'm about to try Polis: Fight for the Hegemony now, let's see how this will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a game of Hive with a former professional backgammon player in Tuscany last summer. Said gentleman was once a diplomat with a keen interest in poker, chess and the like and I said I'd introduce him to Hive.

After a quick learn-the-rules game we settled down to a full encounter and, for over an hour, the board swung back and forth as our queen bees moved away from beetles and various ants tried to block escape routes. As we were playing on a table outside a bar a curious crowd had gathered by the time I managed to block in his queen and get her surrounded, just before he managed to do the same to mine.

I really enjoyed this battle of wits, which felt like some long drawn out and completely matched arm-wrestling contest, even though we did not have time to play again (despite his repeated entreaties!). We're both heading out to the same place again next week, though, so hopefully we'll be able to notch up some more plays, and maybe I'll get to introduce him to Lines of Action or Arimaa as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was growing up my dad would leave for work before I got up for school and I'd be in bed before he got back. Our relationship for a couple of years was conducted through a game of Titan. I made my move each morning before school and he'd make his move after he got back home from work, when there was a battle we'd have to wait for the weekend to play it out. This made attacking on Mondays and Tuesdays pretty rare, which changed the shape of the game a little bit.

It took us a year and a half to play the game.

It worked its way to a climactic ending. By the end both of our titan piles were made entirely from the titan, angels, warlocks and collossi. I'd done better in claiming creatures and had more power on the board as a whole, but he'd got more points and his titan pile was slightly stronger. We got into a position where I'd be able to hit his titan pile once a turn with decent stacks for several turns, but he managed to hit my titan with his pile first and the whole thing came down to one climactic battle.

If the game had a sense of drama it'd have been in the mountains near to a volcano, but it actually took place in a desert. We engaged and our beasts took each other down leaving just two injured titans on the battlefield. They fought each other, mine was slain on his turn, giving me one retalation strike to turn a year and a half game into a draw - but I didn't roll very well and it ended in his victory.

Probably one of the formative experiences of my childhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey that's my fish.

It was like playing a mega important chess game. Absolute silence! We're all usually really chatty, but one game (maybe the 2nd/3rd time we played) we never said a word to one another....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: War on Terror

The opening moves saw the US invade Afghanistan and capture Osama Bin-Laden. Things looked very grim indeed for the Jihadists for a turns as George W. Bush convinced the world he was right to invade and to follow his hard stance. The US electorate were obviously less impressed as John Kerry won the US election and began the arduous task of changing the world's approach to the War on Terror. While he struggled away at this Pakistan came under Islamist rule giving the Jihadists access to the nuclear arsenal. Afghanistan became a quagmire and the whole middle east gradually descended into anarchy. The threat of the WMDs meant the US spent a lot of time and effort hunting out every last plot including two WMDs that were being smuggled into the US.

Eventually the US's worst fears were realised as a mushroom cloud was sighted over Kabul, the US's reputation was in tatters forcing Kerry to withdraw troops from Afghanistan. This all meant McCain seized control in a landslide victory at the next election, promising to send a strong response to the enemies of democracy. It was to no avail though despite a regime change in Pakistan and the Pakistani military going on the offensive against the FATA the region continued to deterioate, with both Yemen and Somalia coming under Islamic rule before finally the US decided to withdraw from affairs in the middle east and North Africa, the region was just too unstable to warrant such a huge investment of time and resources, without any support from the wider international community and with increasing discontent at home the US was forced to admit defeat as another wave of bombings ripped across Pakistan (15 poor governance countries and prestige of 1 - Jihadist victory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of ASL for months (don't even remember how many), once or twice a week sessions, to complete one single battle in Stalingrad. I've never played a game that tense, that involved or that close since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Only" is an odd word...

Space Hulk (third edition): One of my favorite games of all times. Especially for the Marine player watching a mass of Genestealers approaching while on overwatch and all of a sudden the gun jams.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit: This game has a decent amount of luck but no matter what it seems like everything you do can somehow be countered somewhere else. When I'm the droid army, I hate being the droid army and watch as the Naboo rapidly gain ground in the palace, Anakin zig zags through all my droid ship traps, and kill off my Jedi. When I'm the Naboo, I watch helplessly as my Gungans get slaughtered, Anakin seemingly flies around in circles, and they kill off my Jedi.

Yomi: [twitch] It's all it is... paper, rock scissors [twich] that's it... no reason to be nervous [twitch, flinch] just pick one, it will be okay... DAMN IT! Throw again?!

1960: The Making of the President: Every game of this is pretty intense but my favorite game thus far ended in an electoral tie, probably exceptionally rare. We did the standard political recount, then got nervous as we went to the second victory condition and then one party to the celebration party, one goes home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Yomi: [twitch] It's all it is... paper, rock scissors [twich] that's it... no reason to be nervous [twitch, flinch] just pick one, it will be okay... DAMN IT! Throw again?!

This - so much this.

I've only ever played Yomi online (new player so not very good) but every game I play, I come out feeling like I've gone 15 rounds with Ali - esp as I am normally on the losing side (soblue).

Loving the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I forget the name, but it was a Gettysburg wargame. I had played earlier and had a solid strategy. But I was teaching my pal to play, so I went easy for the first three or four turns. It's the way I teach... improve my own tactics in line with his own learning.

But I misjudged how fast he picked up on the game. Not by alot, but I had waited too long. My units weren't in position yet and we start racing for my undefended city. He won the race and I had exactly 1 turn left to retake the city.

My backup units fell one square short of attacking the city... leaving one brave Calvary to do the job. I pick up the dice and know that I've got a 50/50 shot to force him out of the city and win. The dice fly...

Snake eyes. My unit breaks and flees the field. My friend laughs thoroughly that he beat me on his first game. I just sit, my jaw dropped, I had a great strategy and I blew it... I lost to the noob.

But this is why I tend to run training games the way I do. That game was one of the most exciting games I've played, despite having a major advantage when we began playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about *most intense*, but we played a pretty tense game of Quarriors last weekend.

I was building a thin deck using summoning imps to purge my dice deck, and portals, growth spells, and chaos spells to re-roll my dice and draw through my deck. This was great in theory, but I kept rolling all quiddity (mana/money) instead of monsters.

My husband zoomed ahead on the victory point track, scoring assistants and Knights of Quamalot, to reach the 24 glory space. He needed only one more glory to win the game. I was languishing on 16 glory, miles from a win.

Suddenly - on the last round - my deck went off. I rolled three portals, a growth charm, drew four more dice, including a portal and another growth charm. Then another growth charm. Then I rolled two summoning imps and a knight of quamalot. I emptied my dice bag, brought out legions of monsters, massacred a knight of quamalot, completed a quest... And scored 10 glory in a single turn, scooping the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mine was Claustrophobia

I was playing the redeemer and my friend was playing the demon. Can't remember the name of the scenario, but basically I had to move fast to get to the exit, so it was me running and the troglidites building up behind me. Occasionally I would leave one of my warriors behind to do some damage until death and keep on speeding with the rest of the group.

At some piont, I picked about 4 tiles that where a straight tunnel, I kept on speeding, leave one guy behind, do damage till death, draw fifth tile: dead end!!

Suddenly I had to back-track a long narrow tunnel piled up with troglodites and at the very end of it was the demon approaching... so this time, not so much speeding anymore and keeping the group together, I started to slaughter troglodites until I reached somewhere mid-tunned, clashed against the demon and found my death.

I lost, but it was pretty awesom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Player Only?

Um...

Score Four

I er...haven't really played much in the way of 2P only games. I've played a lot of games that're like 2-6 with just 2, but I presume that's against the rules

I do really want to get some more 2 player games to enjoy with my girlfriend, but it just tends to feel silly compared to buying a fun 2-X player game that can also be played with lots of people! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once played a cautious game of chess that ended in mate with no pieces captured. And it wasn't the goofy 4-turn mate. Not sure it was really tense, but it was definitely weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

Love the fact that 2 people said 'Hey that's my fish'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always feel like I fought the Cold War single handedly after playing Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
I always feel like I fought the Cold War single handedly after playing Twilight Struggle.

You should try playing against somebody else. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring for me easily. The game has a fair amount of stuff to learn, but luckily one of my friends has taken the time to invest in learning it and we've been playing once a week for I think now the last eight weeks. The best part about it to me is that I actually lose about 50% of the time now that he has learned it.

Almost every game we've had has come down to the wire and just been super intense, I really love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Box Football. Played within last couple of years using 2006 versions of Tennessee Titans (opponent) and New Orleans Saints (me).

I receive a punt late in the fourth quarter deep in my own territory down 34-28. I drive the length of the field and score a TD right around the two minute warning to go up 35-34, completing a comeback from the two score deficit with which I began the 4th quarter.

My opponent takes the kickoff and mangages a decent return. Then alternating timeouts and spikes to stop the clock, he drives down to around my 30. With one tick left on the clock, he lines up for a field goal. The kick is up and . . . the kick is good! Final score: Titans-37 vs. Saints-35. Favorite game I've ever lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I can think of a couple really intense ones.

Starship Troopers, where I was the bugs, and the Terrans were
just about to dig into my nest - when I popped up a unit
where my opponent didn't think possible, causing him to run across the
board to a dummy tunnel I built, without enough time to rectify the
mistake.

Star Fleet Battles hunting a cloaked Romulan fleet with a Hydran one
(really tough to make them pay with those close range weapons).

Just about every game of Midway I've played.

For me, hidden units are the biggest factor I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.