Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They might be one in the same. I'm enthralled with it as a gameplay mechanic but find myself mostly playing lighter games that are travel friendly.

I love theme and enjoy Lords of Waterdeep.

Targi looks interesting but seems like it simply uses cards to replace a board.

Anything perhaps coming down the pipeline?

Thanks! Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

Ninjato

Stone Age

Egizia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two player Agricola: all creatures big and small is great. I've also enjoyed Xanadu - It's card based and very portable. My understanding is that the designers wanted to make a worker placement game and print it in Colombia (where they're from) - card based was the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langfinger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Xanadú. It uses cards as buildings and workers. Seems relatively light and portable. I have a copy on its way to me now. You have to order directly thru the designer in Colombia. He's currently offering it for $25 shipping included.

Here's the thread for more info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi does use cards to replace a board, but it is also interesting that you place 3 workers on the edge of the "board" and where you place those 3 determines the location of 2 additional workers within the board. So it has a spatial element that most worker placement games do not have. Also, the interior of the board is randomly dealt making each game different. This makes for far more variety had the game used a conventional board instead of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
For portable I'd go with Caylus Magna Carta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Takenoko isn't worker placement is it? My money is on Stone Age and/or fresco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godthedj wrote:
Takenoko isn't worker placement is it?

No, it's really not. Players have 2 or 3 actions they can take and they are provided a player board with tokens to indicate which actions they plan to take. That makes it kind of *look* like worker placement but everyone has a choice of all available actions on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lietz
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:

Langfinger/Sticky Fingers has a compact box (though there is still a bunch of wasted space) for all the cards and cubes and small box inside it. It's a fun game, and could be considered a gateway into heavier worker placement games.

I play a lot of games of it at yucata.de, but I also enjoy playing the actual game with my daughter. I'd like to think that it helped her comprehend Lords of Waterdeep (she's well below the starting age on the box) but there's really no way to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Neither are worker placement games nor have it listed as a mechanic. I know Ninjato gets debated for being a WP versus an action selection game. Having played the game, it really shouldn't be labeled a WP game.

Xanadu gets my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Neither are worker placement games nor have it listed as a mechanic. I know Ninjato gets debated for being a WP versus an action selection game. Having played the game, it really shouldn't be labeled a WP game.

Xanadu gets my vote.

Regardless all great games on par with the experience thr o.p. gets from LoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How does The Manhattan Project or Castle Dice compare? Don't hear too much about these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly Langfinger (as mentioned) is about the most stripped-down worker placement game out there.

I haven't played that one, but I have enjoyed my few games of The Hunger Games: District 12 Strategy Game, which is a very simple worker placement game. Each player just has a single worker that they move from action to action. The other part of the game is resource management, and then it has a push-your-luck twist at the end.

+1 Caylus Magna Carta as a good and portable game, but it's not light. It's not super-heavy, but it's heavier than most of the other games mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpyoung wrote:
The two player Agricola: all creatures big and small is great. I've also enjoyed Xanadu - It's card based and very portable. My understanding is that the designers wanted to make a worker placement game and print it in Colombia (where they're from) - card based was the best option.

Light and portable and a worker placement game? Check, check, and check! Plays quick too!

Something also light and portable, but isn't really a worker placement game is Glen More. It's definitely a euro with a tile laying mechanic with more depth than Carcassonne, so you may consider this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godthedj wrote:
Takenoko isn't worker placement is it? My money is on Stone Age and/or fresco.

Fresco isn't worker placement, either. It's simultaneous action-selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is this:

The Speicherstadt - The board is pretty much unnecessary. Ditch it and pack the whole game into a ziplock. You can also replace the money coins (which are quite large in this game) with other money coins; like the coins from For Sale, perhaps. Or with whatever else you want.

By doing this, you're getting a full-fledged, worker-placement board game that accommodates up to 5 players in about as small a package as possible.

Enjoy!

[edit]

Clarification: The page doesn't list Worker Placement as a mechanic, but I beg to differ. On your turn, you literally take a worker from your remaining workers, and place it above the card of your choice. You are most definitely placing workers on your turn. I don't care if it's because it relates to an auction mechanic, it's still worker placement, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cargo Noir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The correct answer is this:

The Speicherstadt - The board is pretty much unnecessary. Ditch it and pack the whole game into a ziplock. You can also replace the money coins (which are quite large in this game) with other money coins; like the coins from For Sale, perhaps. Or with whatever else you want.

By doing this, you're getting a full-fledged, worker-placement board game that accommodates up to 5 players in about as small a package as possible.

Enjoy!

[edit]

Clarification: The page doesn't list Worker Placement as a mechanic, but I beg to differ. On your turn, you literally take a worker from your remaining workers, and place it above the card of your choice. You are most definitely placing workers on your turn. I don't care if it's because it relates to an auction mechanic, it's still worker placement, IMO.

Now if someone would bring over Kaispeicher that would be great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.