Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son just turned 4. His pediatrician suggested Candyland but I'd like to find something else that might be appropriate for a 4 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Gulo Gulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Gulo Gulo

My suggestions as well. They are also fun for the parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Those, plus Ssssake, penguine pileup, junior labrinth. i play all of those with my 4 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these two lists! Have fun, there are lots of good games out there for the little ones:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the lists are good. But why not say it all again?

Gulo Gulo is the best I've seen yet. If I ever become ridiculously wealthy I'll arrange to have a copy shipped to every child in the world on their third birthday.

Other hits for my daughter (now 3+1/2) are Cariboo (although by 4 maybe your son is too old), viva topo!, and hisss. Haven't tried Chicken Cha Cha yet, but it's in the closet waiting for a slow day to come out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these suggestions are fantastic. Don't know why a game was suggested for your little one so hope these suggestions help.

What works for us

Gulo Gulo-Fun game that has a wonderful mechanic allowing children to beat adults without you throwing the game. Helps with dexterity, colour recognition, turn taking, tactical decision making. And really is a whole lot of fun.

Cocotaki or Cuckoo Zoo-What could be better than making animal noises. We play this with cards face up and helps with developing matching skills colour or animal, plus remembering instructions for certain cards.

Viva Topo!-Great Roll and move game. Helps with tactical decision making, counting and as great angst when the cat starts chasing the mice.

Rummy for Kids-Toy Story. This is a neat game for teaching about set collection and the use of wild cards.

Schildkroetenrennen-Great game of racing turtles, bluffing and tactical decisions. We like this kids game so much adults play this as a filler.

Halli Galli. Once the children get over smashing the bell for no other reason than making dinging sounds, then this game helps children develop number recognition. This is a much better version of snap.

Rat a tat Cat. Has a variant for young children and is excellant for number recognition.

Monza-A game about one of the best race tracks in the world. Well not really but this helps develop tactical decision making and colour recognition. Great little wooden car pieces too

Pitchcar Mini-Great for dexterity development and a whole lot of fun.

Kleiner Spatz (Little Sparrow)-Wonderfully manufactured game developing tactical decision making.

Dominoes-take turns, draw pieces when you can't play, match numbers. Sounds like a lot of games and this really is fun.

What we have found with all these games as the kids can grow into them and you can set them up with your own to get your child into them.

Regards
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to get Gulo Gulo for my kids, but have not yet. Here is what we do at this time.
My oldest is 4 as well, he has and loves to play Kids of Catan. He likes it because he has complete controll and understanding of it--no coaching needed. I'm not sure how much longer he will be intersted though. Most parents report a short lifespan for this game, but he has 2 younger brothers who will work their way upto, through, and out of this one as well, so it was worth the investment (affordable on the web, not retail).

This is the only 'kid' game that he will play, he does not like candyland nor the latter game. It may be from our dislike for the games that he has noticed and adopted.

His most requested game is chess or 'chest' as he calls it. I do not wright this to try and impress how sharp he is, though as his father I believe he is the smartes, cutetes, and most clever kid out there (might be biased though). He simply cannot get enough of 'crashing' the pieces. He started playing with me when he was about 3 and a few months. I decided to give it all to him at the begining (all the proper moves) and not dumb it down. He is finally getting it (can see a check coming within a move or two), though that has never been my focus nor his. We play to have fun, I've noticed that this is why kids play games, they do not play to win. In fact winning is usually a let down, since the game (fun) is over. Like I said his focus in on crashing (capturing) pieces whether they are mine or his. He will purposly setup one of his pieces to be crashed by mine if it is going to spectacular (not sure how he gauges the intesity of crashing). Anyway, sit the little man down and see if he has any interest in crshing pawns with you.

Anyway from what I've seen, gulo gulo is teh way to go. I can't wait to get it myself. I just wanted to mention the chess, since it may already be at hand in your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Well, I just finished playing a full game of Carcassonne with my 3 years, 8 months old, with simplified rules: no farmers, roads and cities all score only one point per tile, no shield bonuses.

We had fun and after finished a surprisingly close 59-50.

I can also suggest ticket to ride, as per our variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/571926#571926

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.