Subject: The Matrix Retheme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After seeing other ways to Retheme this amazing game I couldn't help but come up with one that resonates with me and many of my friends. Of course it is impossible to find the perfect Retheme to fit all the different roles in Avalon but I think the Matrix works quite well. Soon I plan to make my own PnP but wanted to run it by you guys before then to see your thoughts.

Redpill Humans (Loyal Servants of Arthur)

Neo (Merlin)
Morpheus (Percival)
Trinity
Niobe
Mouse
Apoc
Switch

Machines of the Matrix (Minions of Mordred)

Agent Smith (Assassin)
Architect (Oberon)
Bane (Mordred)
Persephone (Morgana)
Agent Brown
Agent Jones
Twins

Cypher (Lancelot)
Oracle (Lady of the Lake)

Script suggestions:

Everyone take the Bluepill and close your eyes so that you may enter the Matrix and be blinded from the truth.  Extend your hands in a fist in front of you.

Machines of the Matrix, put your thumbs up.  You may now take the Redpill and open your eyes so that you may know your evil counterparts.
Machines of the Matrix take the Bluepill and close your eyes but keep your thumbs up.

Neo take the Redpill and open your eyes so you can free your mind and see the agents of evil.  Neo take the blue pill and close your eyes.

Machines of the Matrix put your thumbs down and reform your hand into a fist.

Everyone take the Redpill, open your eyes, and wake up from the prison of your mind.

Optional roles

Architect
Machines of the Matrix - not the Architect, put your thumbs up.  You may now take the Redpill and open your eyes so that you may know your evil counterparts.
Machines of the Matrix take the Bluepill and close your eyes but keep your thumbs up.

Bane - 
Bane put your thumb down but the the other Machines of the Matrix  keep your thumbs up.

Morpheus and Persephone -
Neo and Persephone put your thumbs up.  Morpheus take the Redpill and open your eyes so that you may know the One.  Morpheus take the Bluepill and close your eyes.

Additional ideas -
The Redpill Humans would be represented by the color red and machines of the matrix would be the color green. Also at the end of the game if Redpill humans win then Agent Smith would have one shot to delete the anomaly by correctly guessing Neo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of feels like The Oracle should be Merlin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Also blue ALWAYS equals good in these types of games, and red always equals bad. You should swap the two colors here. Don't confuse people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Also blue ALWAYS equals good in these types of games, and red always equals bad. You should swap the two colors here. Don't confuse people.

Yeah, my home-made SW theme Resistance really confuse some of my friends when they switch to the real thing.

In my SW theme, the red is rebel, and blue is the empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Kind of feels like The Oracle should be Merlin?

Yea it was tough to find the perfect role for the Oracle. The problem with making the Oracle Merlin is that it would leave Neo powerless unless you made him Percival. If you did that then Morpheus would be powerless.

I think Neo is a great fit as Merlin because the Red Pill humans goal is to figure out who is Neo and then protect him from the Machines which fits the plot of the movie.

Also playing Merlin right usually requires a veteran player which I think should be the same with Neo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I knew this would cause confusion with veteran Resistance players but I will explain the thought that went into this.

1. I definitely think the Redpill aspect of the game fits extremely well with the opening sequence and the opening of the eyes. I would say it makes even more sense in this theme than in either of the original Resistance games.

2. In other Matrix games the humans that have taken the Redpill are in fact called Redpills.

3. I likely would be playing this mostly with Newbies who I would be teaching this to as opposed to seasoned Resistance players. I think it would be more confusing to them to have a faction with Red in their name represented by the color Blue. Also the other faction has Matrix in their name and I'm sure if you asked anyone what color they associate with the Matrix they would say Green.

However when I make a PnP version I'm sure it would be easy to make 2 versions with both color options so veteran Resistance players that wanted the standard color options could still grab it if they wanted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho CR
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about this theme several times, but since the spies/Minions of Mordred are supposedly infiltrated among the resistance/Servants of Arthur, Cypher seemed a must in this theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.