Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, here are my initial impressions for Battle for Sector 219:

- Putting a Skirmisher on your home base square is waaaay more powerful than putting a Heavy there was in 218. First, artillery have been nerfed so that you can't easily kill it like you can in 218. Also the fact that Skirmisher can't actually kill anything makes playing it passively much better, obviously. And yet another reason is that Tanks don't exist anymore, so the standard answer of Tank + Tank isn't available to fight people who do it. As a result, I think a lot of the game is about forcing through a Skirmisher onto your base square.
- Skirmisher + Infantry down the side of the hill is gg pretty much. Most of our games ended with that.
- In the original 218, there's a minor gameplay issue where the early stages are just people spamming airstrikes and artillery to see who gets initiative. This problem is *magnified* in 219 due to there being additional Artillery in the deck. It's just round after round of brainless artillery spam before you actually get to play the game.

The things I love about the game are the nerfed Artillery, removed tanks, and nerfed Heavies. If I could change one thing, though, it would be to address the early game Artillery spam issue. It's often very trivial to blow up a guy to prevent a critical moment, and then your opponent plays an artillery to blow up your artillery, etc. etc. etc. The two ideas that come to mind are:
- Replace 1 or 2 of the artillery with other cards.
- Make Infantry Immune to Artillery. (This has the nice side-effect of having it be super-non obvious what the best and worst units are)

Both changes would obviously need heavy testing to see if they actually improved gameplay, of course. But it seems like either could be a very nice improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
The second suggestion actually sounds really good. Nice one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I have the last version of the prototype, but 219s Artillery now count for both 218s Artilleries and Tanks, meaning they can do short range, but not very long range (or sideways). So the total count of direct-kill units is lower in 219, than in 218. Thus the direct-kill effect is somehow reduced.

On the contrary, I do miss a lot the sideways kill of the Artillery, since it could always punch a hole behind enemy lines of supply.

As for Skirmishers, indeed, playing them as a defensive Heavy Machine Gun is very efficient. But I find that very unthematic. I would much rather prefer that the Skirmishers MUST be played WITHOUT a line of supply (not just a "may" as 218s Paras, but a "must") and provide no supply by themselves. Furthermore, replace the all their support icons with all attack ones, to compensate them, and increase the overall offensive power of the deck.

I find that there is not as much offensive power in 219 as there was in 218 (playing one deck against the other is hopeless).

I also perceived a need to bring in some immunities to the impunity of long-range direct-kill attacks (218 artillery and air strikes). You Infantry immunity solution may be worth a try, but I fear it may jeopardize too much the ability to brake through enemy lines and make the game more static than already is (219).

My take was to make your home base immune to artillery and air strikes. I thought about "Partisans" as the setting for this game (compatible with 218), before it became a sci-fi spin-off. Thus, the irregular army units with a local advantage, while defending a city against a regular army invader.

Of course, these are just design ramblings at this point, since the game is pretty much done by now. I was hoping 219 would revitalize 218 by providing a new matchup, but since both are incompatible both thematic and balance-wise (without being different enough to justify keeping them both), I feel 219 will in fact be the demise of 218

I prefer my duel fillers to be quick and brutal (like 218), and 219 is much less dynamic, so an endgame card count is much more plausible. So I'm not as excited as I was. Maybe it's just me...

PS this came out too long to read. sorry about that. thanks if you've come this far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex,

Are you playing online (e.g Apprentice)? If so, I'd lovelovelove to play some games against you. If not, I'd still like to do it -- we could play by mail using a coordinate system.

In the games I played I felt like the Artillery spam was less of a factor, in part because the 219 Artillery can't hit at an angle, meaning that if you break the supply line elsewhere your opponent can't empty your base and re-establish his supply line with a single card. (Granted, that's also harder to do with the new Artillery.)

If we're going to make changes, this is the time...the art is all finished and the Kickstarter page is almost ready to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PM sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.