Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a deck builder that can be played solo. I already have Mage Knight but want something lighter that can be played in 30 minutes to an hour. I bought a legendary and it just seems too easy. I know the expansion is supposed to help but I don't want to take the chance. I also tried some of the solo variants in the forums and while it helped there is something lack luster about the game.

Is Thunderstone Advance a good solo game? How is the replay ability? What about set up and prep time? Thanks in advanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I am looking for a deck builder that can be played solo.

Have you considered Friday? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43570/friday

It's literally designed solely as a solo deck builder.

Game Overview, Pro / Con Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvvpSHJCzXs

I hope you find what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredcvbgt wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I am looking for a deck builder that can be played solo.

Have you considered Friday? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43570/friday

It's literally designed solely as a solo deck builder.

Game Overview, Pro / Con Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvvpSHJCzXs

I hope you find what you are looking for.

No because it looks horrible. I have Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island coming in August. Is Thunderstone Advance similar to Legendary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and play both Legendary and Thunderstone Advance in solo mode.

As far as the Legendary expansion goes, it does make the game significantly more difficult in my opinion.

I think Thunderstone Advance is a better strategy game than Legendary. As far as setup and teardown goes, they're pretty comparable. Though my feeling is that Legendary does take longer just because it uses more cards so there's more sorting at the end of the game.

I feel like Replayability is pretty good with both games, though there's more content available with Thunderstone Advance right now. (I can hear my daughter now, "Ahhh, we have to go against Loki again?")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purchased Thunderstone Advance 2 weeks ago.

Have played solo 3-4 times (and in a group once). Got my butt handed to me in my first solo game which is very good. Then I started trying to play smarter and try different strategies, I have won all but one of the other sessions but they all literally came down to the last draw or two of the cards and were very exciting.

This is all using the tutorial game setup and not one of the 3 official scenarios that come in the box so that's a good sign as well...that I can have fun with a tutorial.

Playtime is taking about 60-90 minutes for me. It does get quite addictive and has that "I'll play just one more hand" quality. Setup out of the box is about 15 minutes, setup starting from a just played game is maybe 5 minutes. Teardown is about 15 mins to get all the cards into their proper place in the wonderfully designed box (you can flip the frikkin thing upside down and all your cards stay perfectly organized; dividers were included!)

It's a very good deal for the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

No because it looks horrible.

It's an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's an amazing game.

I would never care to four out since I have to look at it and it looks bad to me. Moving on....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb

LunarSoundDesign wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's an amazing game.

I would never care to four out since I have to look at it and it looks bad to me. Moving on....

Don't judge a book by its cover...Friday is by far the best pure deckbuilder I've played, just because it flows very nicely, it's difficult, and you can take it aanywhere. Plus it's cheap :-)

If you're unsure about Thunderstone still, check out Shadowrift. I've waned to try it because some people say it has the same feel as TS, but plays better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Jiang
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks good; I like the art and most of the layout design. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I can recommend about the game. If you're going to play solo, I strongly recommend using the solo variants found on BGG. Even then, I still feel the sense of accomplishment during play is weak, since the goal is still all about getting a high score, i.e. there really isn't an interesting narrative going on, unless you make one up. Also, a 30 minute game is unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.