Subject: The TV show is awesome! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad to say that for some reason I'll never really understand, I had never watched this show. I have been playing this game, however, since just after it came out. I recently played with a different group that is really into the game as well as the TV show and they encouraged me to watch it.

So I watched the miniseries and I was hooked. Then I watched season 1. Then I realized my wife would probably like the show, so we started over. Now I'm a bit into season 3. We literally watch 2-4 episodes every single night.

It is definitely one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time and I probably never would have seen it if it wasn't for this game.

Oh, and now I see just how well the game captures the theme from the show. Oh, and now I know what Kobol is, and New Caprica, and Pegasus. And now I know why this one poor ship has to fight off the cyclons by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesssss, another convert.

SSWA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm jealous you get to watch it for the first time. BSG is one of my top would-wipe-my-own-memory-to-rewatch shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have been playing the board game but never watched the show. I just recently picked up the whole series from Amazon, including Chrome & Steel and the Caprica series. Now I just need to start watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy the journey!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Because the destination sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently watching the show for the third time, and I'm close to the end of season 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So say we all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
There was a large gap in time between when I had watched the show originally and then when my friends acquired the board game and we started playing it. Only recently though did I buy my own copy and begin introducing another group of friends to this wonderful game. Only one of them had actually seen the show before, and prompted by how enjoyable the game has been, we've all started to watch the show as well.

I have to say, perhaps because it had been so long since I'd watched the show, each episode I'm earnestly surprised to notice how good of a job the designer of the game did with capturing the theme of the show: practically every 10 minutes I'm noticing yet another Crisis Card basically unfolding on-screen, and all of the interpersonal hostility and suspicions that come along with them. All of it, so very well captured.

Being able to watch the show and play the game in tandem has really reinvigorated my appreciation of both the show and the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the TV Show is awesome. If you have extra time...as we all do, Ronald D Moore had a great commentary track her released as a podcast concurrent with the episodes. I made great train/workout listening the day after the Episode and was a fascinating look into the process and behind the scenes. Also, Alan Sepinwall just had a great breakdown of the show and its place in the TV revolution in his new book "The Revolution Was Televised."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I'll be using the terms "toaster", "skin job", and "frack" much more next time I play. My wife even wants to play the game now (we'll see how she feels 3 hours in )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently binge-watched the whole series after playing the game for my fifth or sixth time. I was originally put off the show when it first aired in 2004 because I loved the original as a kid, and felt like every change was blasphemous. But I guess I got over it, as I finally decided to give the show a go after playing the game with my group.

The show is so brilliantly written, it almost made me swear off Star Trek and Star Wars forever. Jar Jar and Spock cannot compete with the all-out drama and intensity of BSG. The acting is so spot on. The show takes itself seriously in every regard. The love triangles and same-but-different Cylons are so well-crafted and story lines so well executed that it wasn't even difficult to tell them all apart. The only sad part for me is not knowing that its over, but knowing that it may take another 20 years to find another sci-fi series this good. Couldn't they have missed Earth the first time around and stretched this thing out for 7-9 seasons? Now I'm in withdrawal.

Caprica was entertaining, but ultimately disappointing. I'm not sure I buy the plot line of the Cylon race being invented by a 15 year-old teenager with behavior issues, but it was fun for a watch, and I like how they explained the derivations of the words toaster, skin-job, and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siew
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually haven't played the game since we watched the series, but I hope to remedy that soon. Also, this video seems appropriate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least here in the US, many say it was better than 90% of the other shows at that time. Even those not into sci-fi got into it (although the jabs that it's a "drama in space" weren't that far off and could've used more fighting and combat scenes).

I'm still pissed that NBC aired the miniseries, and then had you watch the rest of it through Sci-fi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there arn't many good science fiction tv shows out there, so it is probably one of the best.
It is a pitty tough that the religious mayhem is taking ctrl the longer the series lasts. I really wish the story evolves in a way so you could either belive the religious as well as the rational interpretation of the line of events. Sadly the authors leave no room for that, not at all.

Anyways, it remains the best TV show ever produced for a boardgame. I really wonder how FFG manged to finance that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msiew wrote:
Also, this video seems appropriate...

That was hilarious and pretty much illustrates my wife and I, albeit not quite as bad

The only other shows that we have got into so quickly and so fast are Breaking Bad and Homeland. But I think in all three cases it helps that we were able to watch at least two seasons straight through which really helps you get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
(although the jabs that it's a "drama in space" weren't that far off and could've used more fighting and combat scenes).

Actually, I think this is exactly what makes it better than your typical sci-fi series. I guarantee you my wife would not be watching it with me if it had less drama and more fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad you're enjoying it! Word of warning though: if you're past the first few episodes of Season 3, prepare to lower your expectations for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Glad you're enjoying it! Word of warning though: if you're past the first few episodes of Season 3, prepare to lower your expectations for a while.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
But it is crucial to the story of the survivors that Roslin was having a fling on Caprica-that-was! It was space-opera turned soap-opera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"God's favourite TV show" - according to our pastor, who's even used clips as sermon lead-ins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
msiew wrote:
Also, this video seems appropriate...

I've had this with boardgaming, and other things. Back when the Dominion expansions were coming out one-by-one, me and another person played back-to-back-to-back-to-back games. That's what we finished with, but at the start, more of us got together for general gaming 8pm that night, left 8am the next morning!

I had one group where a bunch of newcomers to the group got in on BSG. After a 4-hour game, one person asked the group if we wanted to play another one. I chuckled to myself, but when they 1-by-1 said "sure", I WAS shocked... reset the board, shuffle the cards, and another 4 hour game ensued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the board game itself can make the series better. I tried to watch it the first time around and got sick of it only a few episodes in. Then I got and played the board game in PBF. Then I bought the whole series on sale, and actually mostly enjoyed it. It's not the best series I've ever watched, but it is one that I would and have watched more than once, which is what I want out of a series.

The board game lets you get a feel and an attachment to some of the characters, which makes some of the early plots -- ie stranded Helo -- more interesting than they would be if you came in completely cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:
I think that the board game itself can make the series better. I tried to watch it the first time around and got sick of it only a few episodes in. Then I got and played the board game in PBF. Then I bought the whole series on sale, and actually mostly enjoyed it. It's not the best series I've ever watched, but it is one that I would and have watched more than once, which is what I want out of a series.

The board game lets you get a feel and an attachment to some of the characters, which makes some of the early plots -- ie stranded Helo -- more interesting than they would be if you came in completely cold.
Huh... interesting. I believe you're in the minority that prefers the order of play the game first, then watch the TV series.

I myself was hooked after the miniseries, but again, was annoyed that the rest of it would air on Sci-Fi. Still debating on whether or not it would've done better if they left it on NBC, but if this was a stint, I hear they did get a decent # of new subscribers to the Sci-Fi Channel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rully JRM
msg tools
Glad you're enjoying it! I just saw the show for he first time last month and have already finished the series. Bought he board game soon after and the expansions followed. I'm addicted to all things BSG. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm officially done watching the series and I have free time again. It sure was great though!

My wife noticed that all of the books and paper in the show have the corners chopped off. It is something I likely would never have noticed, but once you are aware of it you see that they are very consistent with it. In fact I wonder if by the end everybody was pissed at whoever came up with that idea (I'm so sick of cutting the corners off of books!).

But then I noticed the character cards in the game have the same thing. What a great thematic nod by the FFG guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Well, I'm officially done watching the series and I have free time again. It sure was great though!

My wife noticed that all of the books and paper in the show have the corners chopped off. It is something I likely would never have noticed, but once you are aware of it you see that they are very consistent with it. In fact I wonder if by the end everybody was pissed at whoever came up with that idea (I'm so sick of cutting the corners off of books!).

But then I noticed the character cards in the game have the same thing. What a great thematic nod by the FFG guys.

It was talked about on one of the commentaries, IIRC. It was kind of a joke during the mini-series, but then they had to follow through the series to the end, and yes, the set dresser was exhausted by it. There was at least one shot of a shelf full of books in the background, and they all had their corners intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.