Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
One of the lessons I learned that really improved my game as a runner is to always make sure I have enough money to run any remote server, so the corp can never feels safe installing an agenda. A corollary to that is that it is OK to not have enough money if you have the money in hand (or other cards likes Stimhack or Inside Job that will allow you to get into a remote.) One thing that happened to my game is that I stopped running R&D or HQ when I had just enough money to do that, because that gives the corp the opportunity to play an agenda safely.

That said, now I have the opposite problem. While I still run R&D fairly consistently, I am finding that I am ignoring HQ. I think about the money I would spend and that I will likely miss even if there is an agenda. I am finding that I would rather just wait til the agenda hits a remote and go after it there. In general I only run HQ when it is very cheap to do so (or if I have events like Account Siphon or Emergency Shutdown).

When do you run centrals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how your opponent is playing. If they're not dropping anything into remotes/advancing, then you can surmise that the agendas are going to either be in HQ or R&D. Hitting R&D is almost always a good idea if you can increase the efficiency of runs using something like Maker's Eye and/or R&D Interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Yeah that is the other thing I forgot to mention. Are cards like Maker's Eye/Medium/R&D Interface/HQ Interface/Nerve Agent must haves now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Now? They've always been.

The only new development is Indexing: see 5 cards for 0 cost and rearrange them. And no risk of slamming into a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr glaze et al wrote:
Now? They've always been.

The only new development is Indexing: see 5 cards for 0 cost and rearrange them. And no risk of slamming into a trap.

I have a deck with literally no way to access more than 1 card per run from HQ and R&D, and it is extremely strong. It's not necessary, in a deck built for efficiency in runs.

Vamp is another excellent card for breaking remotes even when it seems like you can't, and shouldn't be underestimated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on the boardstate and the matchup and your strategy really, there's not really a reason to run ALL the servers ALL the time. Taking opportunities where it presents itself is more important than running everything.

1. Always run R&D if it's cheap.
2. If R&D is heavily defended, threaten remote, as agendas has got to go somewhere.
3. If no agendas are going to remotes, then hit HQ cos it's gotta have pooled up there.

If agendas aren't in HQ still, then go after R&D.

As for which cards to hit where with, well, of course there're the obvious ones so no need to talk about them, really.

Oh alright:

Remote threat: Inside Job, Siphon, Vamp (any econ denial), Tinkering, Crypsis, any ICE destruction (parasite, kraken, shutdown).
R&D threat: RD Interface, Maker's Eye, Medium, Indexing, Imp (card destruction)
HQ threat: Siphon, HQ Interface, Nerve Agent, Pheromones, Sneakdoor... Etc etc. Anything that makes repeat hitting HQ cheaper, because you do need to repeat hit HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.