Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this game at my FLGS, and was simultaneously intrigued by the game, and overwhelmed with all the additional expansions that were sitting right next to the main game. Extra carriers, extra fighters/gunships, new upgrades, new crew, asteroids... Good grief... When it's all said and done, it's like $90 retail.

What expansions are good? Bad? Necessary? Extraneous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
I just saw this game at my FLGS, and was simultaneously intrigued by the game, and overwhelmed with all the additional expansions that were sitting right next to the main game. Extra carriers, extra fighters/gunships, new upgrades, new crew, asteroids... Good grief... When it's all said and done, it's like $90 retail.

What expansions are good? Bad? Necessary? Extraneous?

I would get the Gunship: First Strike! X-perimental Weapons and the extra carriers and play the game before getting anything beyond that.

Everything else you can add on as you'd like.

That being said, I Kickstarted this and bought 2 of the Gunship: Mk II along with getting everything else included with my base game.

Keep an eye out for the Gunship: Afterburners! expansion which will hopefully hit Kickstarter real soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome info, thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sanchezja

I agree that the Upgrades are a must. They are actually called the Upgrade Decks at the store. Somehow they got named "X-perimental Weapons" here on BGG and although this set DOES include some of the X-Weapons, that is not the official name.

If you want 3-player mode or 4-player free-for-all, grab the Extra Carriers set.

Punchboard Tokens make the game much more thematic.

I also highly recommend the Crewmates! You will always use those once you've tried them out.

The Gunship MkII is unfortunately sold out but will possibly return in new colors IF we hit our Stretch Goals!

Target Date for the Afterburners Kickstarter is August 7!

Thanks!

Steve
EPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, could you take a look at my thread below this and verify that I have everything I should from a trade? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:
Thanks, Sanchezja

I agree that the Upgrades are a must. They are actually called the Upgrade Decks at the store. Somehow they got named "X-perimental Weapons" here on BGG and although this set DOES include some of the X-Weapons, that is not the official name.

If you want 3-player mode or 4-player free-for-all, grab the Extra Carriers set.

Punchboard Tokens make the game much more thematic.

I also highly recommend the Crewmates! You will always use those once you've tried them out.

The Gunship MkII is unfortunately sold out but will possibly return in new colors IF we hit our Stretch Goals!

Target Date for the Afterburners Kickstarter is August 7!

Thanks!

Steve
EPG

Thanks for your post, and, please don't think this was a trap because that wasn't the intention, but your response begs the question...

If it IS that crucial, then why wasn't included in the base game?

I don't know what "3-player mode or 4-player free-for-all" means, but it sounds like you just needed 2 more cardboard cutouts? That couldn't be included? Really? Upgrades are a must... Once you use the additional crew, you'll never play without... And suddenly the price of the game has doubled.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:

And suddenly the price of the game has doubled.

I think you just answered you question. The game is fun and playable just with the base game. If you add the upgrades and the crewmen you'll have a lot more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of a long story involving the Kickstarter hitting tons of stretch goals and trying to keep the core game under 4 pounds for international shipping, etc.

Also, the question could also be asked (and I say this with all respect and not a hint of snarkiness)

Why doesn't Magic: The Gathering just come with ALL the cards?

Why don't they just give you ALL the ships with the core game of X-Wing minis?

Like James said, GS:FS plays just fine without all the extra stuff but the add-ons are there to add as wanted. And selling expansions helps the publishers make a little more profit because you would not believe what is left after the factory, distributors, and Fed Ex get their cuts.arrrh

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.